Balmer and Lyman Wavelengths  [ENDORSED]

H-Atom ()

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

RuchaDeshpande1L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Balmer and Lyman Wavelengths

Postby RuchaDeshpande1L » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:47 pm

In the textbook, atomic spectroscopy was said to often result in spectral lines, some of which are grouped into specific series. For example, the Balmer series wavelengths represent visible light (electrons jump down to n=2) and the Lyman series wavelengths represent UV light (n=1). If in a problem we are told that UV light is produced from an electron transition, will it always be part of the Lyman series with a final n of 1? Or are there exceptions to these series?

miznaakbar
Been upvoted: 4 times

Re: Balmer and Lyman Wavelengths

Postby miznaakbar » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:51 pm

One of the homework questions said UV light was released from a transition, and it implied that it was a Lyman series (meaning it jumped down to n=1). Using n=1, I got the right answer so I assume that there are no exceptions considering the question expected you to know UV meant Lyman.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 435 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:52 pm

If the problem tells you that UV light is produced you should assume it was a transition to n=1 energy level. There are no exceptions to be considered :)

miznaakbar
Been upvoted: 4 times

Re: Balmer and Lyman Wavelengths  [ENDORSED]

Postby miznaakbar » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:55 pm

^Looks like we're all on the same wavelength then

Emma Miltenberger 2I

Postby Emma Miltenberger 2I » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:59 am

There are no exceptions to this as far as I am aware. The Balmer series represent all of the spectral lines within the visible spectrum and the Lyman series represents all of the spectral lines within the UV region of the spectrum. Therefore, for each transition to n=2 and n=1 respectively, is part of the Balmer or Lyman series.

Return to “Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy”