Balmer Series vs Lyman Series

H-Atom ()

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Faisal Alshamaa - 1L

Balmer Series vs Lyman Series

Postby Faisal Alshamaa - 1L » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:20 pm

Hello,
I am confused about the difference between the balmer series and lyman series and what they are? Do we need to know this for the test? Also why are the lines in the visible light region of balmer series only red and blue? Are those the only two wavelengths that can be emitted by electrons in hydrogen due to discrete energy levels?
(sorry if this is too much to answer at once!)
thank you!

Kuldeep Gill 1H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Balmer Series vs Lyman Series

Postby Kuldeep Gill 1H » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:10 pm

The Balmer series is the visible region of light it ends at the energy level of 2. The Balmer series does not just have red and blue visible regions it is from violet----> red with increasing wavelength so between violet and red is your typical ROYGBIV but just backward. The Lyman series is the UV region and ends at a final energy level of 1. Hope that helps!!

Josian1A

Postby Josian1A » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:44 pm

Also you should know the wavelengths for visible light are, roughly, from 400nm(violet) to 700nm(red). And as mentioned, they are a part of the Balmer Series.

hannahtweedy

Postby hannahtweedy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:30 pm

The Paschem series and Brackett series were also mentioned in a hw question. Can anybody explain these better?

Jasmine Emtage-1J

Postby Jasmine Emtage-1J » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:46 pm

The Paschen series ends at energy level n=3 and the Brackett series ends at energy level n=4. I don't know much more about them but I hope that helps!

Return to “Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy”