Emission vs Absorption

H-Atom ()

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Madeleine Farrington 1B

Emission vs Absorption

Postby Madeleine Farrington 1B » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:08 pm

I notice that most of the homework problems offer the wavelength of light emitted as part of the given information, but I know you can also measure wavelength of light absorbed. Is there a difference in how you solve a given problem if it offers the wavelength of light absorbed rather than emitted?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 364 times

Re: Emission vs Absorption

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:16 pm

The properties of the H-atom is not changing so absorption is opposite of emission. So the equations you use can be applied (in reverse) to obtain desired information.

Gianna Graziano 1A

Postby Gianna Graziano 1A » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:10 pm

Hi Madeline,
I am pretty sure that you can use either the light absorbed or emitted to get the same answer. You would just plug in the value accordingly. You can still use the Rydberg equation to predict the wavelength of light resulting from an electron moving between energy levels of an atom, whether that is up or down.

Jordanmarshall

Postby Jordanmarshall » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:31 pm

I think the difference of light being absorbed vs emitted is where or not it is going up or down an energy level. If it is going up an energy level then it is absorption but if it is going down and energy level than it is being emitted. Careful tho because if it is going up you will get a negative number but just turn it positive!

Return to “Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy”