Lyman, Balmer, Paschen, Brackett. etc. series and Wavelength

H-Atom ()

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

KC Navarro_1H

Lyman, Balmer, Paschen, Brackett. etc. series and Wavelength

Postby KC Navarro_1H » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:39 pm

I am aware that certain series correspond to certain wavelengths, but I'm not sure what would generally correspond to what. Should anything below 400 nm be considered as a Lyman series? And anything between 400-700nm should be considered as Balmer?

Thank you!

jadam_1E

Re: Lyman, Balmer, Paschen, Brackett. etc. series and Wavelength

Postby jadam_1E » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:39 pm

The most definite way to assign a light wave to either the lyman or balman series is to look at the energy level change.

If the spectral line emitted is a result of the energy level dropping from n≥2 to n=1 then it is a part of the Lyman series
If the spectral line emitted is a result of the energy level dropping from n≥3 to n=2 then it is a part of the Balmer series

Generally, the Balmer Series spectral lines are in the visible spectrum (400-700nm) and the Lyman series is in the ultraviolet range.

Paywand Baghal

Postby Paywand Baghal » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:23 pm

jadam_1E wrote:The most definite way to assign a light wave to either the lyman or balman series is to look at the energy level change.

If the spectral line emitted is a result of the energy level dropping from n≥2 to n=1 then it is a part of the Lyman series
If the spectral line emitted is a result of the energy level dropping from n≥3 to n=2 then it is a part of the Balmer series

Generally, the Balmer Series spectral lines are in the visible spectrum (400-700nm) and the Lyman series is in the ultraviolet range.

Do we need to know anything else if it extends out of the visible or ultraviolet region?

Jessica Lancisi - 1I

Postby Jessica Lancisi - 1I » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:36 pm

Going off of what Paywand asked, isnt there something about how the H atom can only emit ultraviolet and visible light? not sure if this is true

Return to “Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy”