Wave Properties of electrons

H-Atom ()

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Cecilia Jardon 1I

Wave Properties of electrons

Postby Cecilia Jardon 1I » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:08 pm

I was having trouble understanding what diffraction patterns were. The professor mentioned constructive (waves in phase) and destructive interference (waves out of phase). Are were supposed to know how to draw those or just understand the concept of them. And if so can you please explain.

Erin Kim 2G

Re: Wave Properties of electrons

Postby Erin Kim 2G » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:15 pm

If the peaks and troughs of a wave match up then they are constructive and when the two waves match up then their amplitudes will increase because they both help to build each other. However when the peak and trough of two waves hit then they become destructive and the wave amplitude will decrease. I think we have to just understand the concept of them and know that it is a property of waves.

Raymond Ko 1H

Re: Wave Properties of electrons

Postby Raymond Ko 1H » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:31 pm

For diffraction patterns, the typical example would be having a barrier in the middle of a room with a tiny opening the size of an electron. If electrons behaved like particles, when electrons are sent toward the opening, they would pass through one by one, straight to the end of the room. However, when electrons are sent through, they diffract, meaning they bend and spread out.

Return to “Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy”