Absorption/Emission

H-Atom ()

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Megan_Ervin_1F

Absorption/Emission

Postby Megan_Ervin_1F » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:56 pm

hey guys, I'm having trouble with the names of things. When is it Spectrum Absorption or Spectrum Emission and when does the term refer to the actual line that shows up. Please help me clear up the vernacular here. Thanks

Marsenne Cabral 1A

Re: Absorption/Emission

Postby Marsenne Cabral 1A » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:47 am

This is confusing terminology to me too, but I believe spectrum emission is when the actual line shows up and spectrum absorption is where all colors are absorbed so there is no line, but I am not sure either. Can someone help clear this up?

Laura Gong 3H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Laura Gong 3H » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:52 pm

Each unique atom and molecule, I believe, absorb and emit only certain wavelengths of light, that's why spectroscopy is useful in detecting what a substance could be; each element has a specific fingerprint. The actual line that shows up is spectrum emission.

deepto_mizan1H

Postby deepto_mizan1H » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:02 pm

Absorption and Emission are two aspects of how energy is transferred among particles and compounds. For example in reactions energy is absorbed to make bonds, while emitted when breaking. In particles we see light from the excitement of electrons, where energy is absorbed when excited, and given off in the form of photons (light) when the electron falls back to its original level. The spectra we get from these two phenomena are important as they can be used to determine what compound we are dealing with. In an absorption spectra, we would see dark lines signifying where the atom or compound absorbs radiation of those frequencies. In emission, we would see certain colors that signify those energy levels are unique to that. In astrophysics sometimes we can use it to determine the composition of stars by the light given off.

Karan Thaker 2L

Postby Karan Thaker 2L » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:06 pm

Agreed. the line that shows up is spectrum emission I think, because you can't translate absorption into a visible graph but can do this with emission. Absorption is related to what wavelengths are being taken in by a given atom. For colors and energy give off think emission.

Return to “Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy”