Atomic Spectra Wave Model or Particle Model?

H-Atom ()

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Bita Ghanei 1F

Atomic Spectra Wave Model or Particle Model?

Postby Bita Ghanei 1F » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:10 pm

According to Atomic Spectra, are electrons acting more as a wave or a particle? Please explain.

Re: Atomic Spectra Wave Model or Particle Model?

Postby 305385703 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:26 pm

Both. The reason the electrons are quantized in their orbits around the nucleus is because of their wavelike properties (remember how in lecture, Lavelle showed how if the electron was in the wrong position, it would be cancelled out by its own wave). However, as an electron "drops" from a higher energy to a lower energy, it is better to think of it as a particle dropping down a hill. Though I think the dropping could be thought of as a wave, the particle model was used to describe it in lecture.

Tai Metzger 3K

Postby Tai Metzger 3K » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:57 pm

Atomic spectra are associated more with the quantum model. This is due to the fact that the spectral lines occur because the electrons can only exist at certain (quantized) distances from the nucleus.

Sydney Myers 4I

Postby Sydney Myers 4I » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:09 pm

In general, associate the photoelectric effect with electrons being treated as particles (because the intensity of the electron doesn't change its energy, which is counterintuitive when thinking about a wave) and the three fundamental equations we learned (deBroglie's, Heisenberg's Uncertainty Equation, and Schrodinger's Wave Function Equation) are associated with electrons treated as waves.

Return to “Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy”