Atomic Spectra Chapter 1 #15 HW problem

H-Atom ()

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Isabella Shahmirza 2H

Atomic Spectra Chapter 1 #15 HW problem

Postby Isabella Shahmirza 2H » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:32 pm

In problem #15, we are given that a line is observed at 102.6nm in the UV spectrum of atomic hydrogen. We have to determine the values for "n" for the initial and final energy levels of the electron during the emission of energy. I know that the initial is n=1 because we are in the UV spectrum. In order to find what the final energy level is equal to, do we calculate the frequency (from the given wavelength) and set that equal to ; or do we calculate the change in energy from the frequency (using ) and set that equal to the equation to find the final energy level. I tried both ways, and I am not getting the correct answer. Is there another way to determine the final energy level, n?

Katie Clark 3B

Re: Atomic Spectra Chapter 1 #15 HW problem

Postby Katie Clark 3B » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:23 pm

I solved for the frequency using the given wavelength. I then pugged that value and n=1 into the equation from the book: . I plugged in n=1 to the first n in the equation. I then solved for the second n and found it to be equal to 3. Hope this helps!

Aneel Ramirez 1A

Re: Atomic Spectra Chapter 1 #15 HW problem

Postby Aneel Ramirez 1A » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:03 pm

I am still struggling with this question. I understand how to calculate the wavelength when given values of n, but I don't quite understand how to find the values of n when given the wavelength? Could someone please explain and further clarify how we use these equation to find the values for n?

Return to “Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy”