N1 and N2

H-Atom ()

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Janelle Gokim 3B
Been upvoted: 4 times

N1 and N2

Postby Janelle Gokim 3B » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:00 pm

Considering n1 represents the final energy level and n2 represents the initial energy level, in the case of an absorption, if you plug it into the Rydberg frequency equation, it actually yields a negative frequency value which shouldn't be possible right? Does that mean that these types of problems will only be based on emission of energy or would we have different guidelines for this situation? I tend to use the energy equation specific to hydrogen for these questions so I just wanted to clarify if n1=final and n2=initial is absolute to avoid any mistakes in the future.

Akash J 1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: N1 and N2

Postby Akash J 1J » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:14 pm

Janelle Gokim 3F wrote:Considering n1 represents the final energy level and n2 represents the initial energy level, in the case of an absorption, if you plug it into the Rydberg frequency equation, it actually yields a negative frequency value which shouldn't be possible right? Does that mean that these types of problems will only be based on emission of energy or would we have different guidelines for this situation? I tend to use the energy equation specific to hydrogen for these questions so I just wanted to clarify if n1=final and n2=initial is absolute to avoid any mistakes in the future.

So when you are calculating energy absorbed, the electron will jump to a higher energy level. Using the equation -R(1/n - 1/n) = Freq., we see that the negative sign in front of R causes the frequency to be negative. I believe that you can just take the absolute value of it if you are stopping at the frequency. If the end goal is the energy, I believe the negative sign indicates that energy is absorbed from the system.

Mary Gallo 1G
Been upvoted: 4 times

Re: N1 and N2

Postby Mary Gallo 1G » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:28 pm

I was confused on the same thing but I got a lot of clarification on this forum:
https://lavelle.chem.ucla.edu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=64748&sid=5cfe4a54eb50695e3b57ca5605232d1f
The responses were really helpful to me so I hope they can benefit you too!

Return to “Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy”