Lyman and Balmer Series

H-Atom ()

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Scot Widjaja Dis 1J

Lyman and Balmer Series

Postby Scot Widjaja Dis 1J » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:49 am

Would the Lyman (UV) and Balmer (Visible) series be the only 2 series we'd have to know for this course? Do we have to also know the Infrared series which would be electrons going from a high energy level down to the n=3 energy level? If so, is there a particular name for the infrared series?

John Pham 3L
Been upvoted: 4 times

Re: Lyman and Balmer Series

Postby John Pham 3L » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:54 am

I don't think that we'll need to know the Infrared series. I think that the Lyman and Balmer series are the only ones we need for this course.
The Infrared series is called the Paschen series but Lavelle didn't go through the Infrared series and neither did the textbook.

Kristina Krivenko 3I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Kristina Krivenko 3I » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:58 am

Hi! Lyman and Balmer series are the only ones that have been emphasized in this course so far, and I haven't seen any problems that would require you to know the other series. So I believe knowing these two should be enough.

However, if you want to know the third series as well, and it's called Paschen series (lower energy level is n=3). Hope this helps :)

Alejandro Gonzalez 2G

Postby Alejandro Gonzalez 2G » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:23 pm

I believe it is just the Lyman and Balmer Series that we need to know for the midterm, as those are the main ones we use in the homework and textbook practice problems.

Jaden Kwon 3C

Postby Jaden Kwon 3C » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:45 pm

I think you only have to know the Lyman and Balmer series but you should also know in general what the hydrogen spectral series are.

Scot Widjaja Dis 1J

Postby Scot Widjaja Dis 1J » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:46 pm

Ok, great! Thanks for the responses guys. I found them really helpful.

Return to “Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy”