N reaching infinity

H-Atom ()

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Annabella_Amato_1I

N reaching infinity

Postby Annabella_Amato_1I » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:55 pm

According to the textbook, when n reaches infinity, the energy at this level becomes 0. Is this a theoretical level or will the electron ever reach this energy level?

Aria Movassaghi 1A

Re: N reaching infinity

Postby Aria Movassaghi 1A » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:13 pm

Yea at this level, the atom loses an electron but I don't think this can actually occur because the energy levels just get closer and closer as they approach infinity.

SashaAnand2J

Postby SashaAnand2J » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:14 pm

The "infinity" level is theoretical! From my understanding, if the level were to reach infinity, it would just mean the electron is as far as possible from the nucleus as chemically possible, while (just barely) being a part of the atom. I would assume n=infinity could be approached, but not necessarily reached by electrons (basically an upper limit). Electrons would be rejected from the atom at this theoretical point.

Lillian

Postby Lillian » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:33 pm

Physically, it is impossible for an electron to reach n = infinity. As long as there is a "distance" between an electron and an atom, there will be some attraction, though it would be EXTREMELY small. So unless there is a way to reach a length of "infinity" between an atom and an electron (or anything really), there will be no 0 energy. :)

Return to “Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy”