atomic spectroscopy vs. molecular spectroscopy

H-Atom ()

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Lucy Wang 2J
Been upvoted: 2 times

atomic spectroscopy vs. molecular spectroscopy

Postby Lucy Wang 2J » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:30 am

can someone explain the point on the Unit 2: Outline that says"with respect to electron transitions that give rise to a UV or visible spectrum: understand the difference between electronic transitions in atomic orbitals and electronic transitions in molecular orbitals"

or if u could point me to where it is explained in the lectures/textbook that'd be super helpful

David Chibukhchian 2G

Re: atomic spectroscopy vs. molecular spectroscopy

Postby David Chibukhchian 2G » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:16 am

I had this same question regarding that part of the outline. However, I think for that topic we just have to understand that molecular spectroscopy is a bit more complicated as a result of multiple electrons, especially compared to the atomic spectroscopy for hydrogen. In multi-electron atoms and molecules, the shells are not degenerate, meaning they have subshells with different energies. As a result, molecular spectroscopy is going to be more complex and take that increased number of electrons (and their interactions in the molecule) into account. I'm also a bit confused, but I think that's what we have to know in general. I hope that helps!

Abby Lam 3F

Re: atomic spectroscopy vs. molecular spectroscopy

Postby Abby Lam 3F » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:38 am

I'm not sure, but I think molecular spectroscopy is more complex because molecules are more complex structures. Instead of only studying the behavior of one electron, we can study the behavior of a molecule. It would be great if someone could further clarify!

Return to “Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy”