Atomic Spectroscopy vs molecular spectroscopy

H-Atom ()

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Marisa Gaitan 2D
Been upvoted: 3 times

Atomic Spectroscopy vs molecular spectroscopy

Postby Marisa Gaitan 2D » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:25 pm

On outline 2, one of the bullets says: "With respect to electron transitions that give rise to a UV or visible spectrum: understand the difference between electronic transitions in atomic orbitals (atomic spectroscopy) and electronic transitions in molecular orbitals (molecular spectroscopy)."

What exactly is the difference between these two and what basic concepts will we need to understand for this bullet? Thanks!

Neel Bonthala 2G

Re: Atomic Spectroscopy vs molecular spectroscopy

Postby Neel Bonthala 2G » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:51 pm

Hey! So I had a similar question and after some digging around I think the major difference between atomic and molecular spectroscopy is the energy levels. In multi-electron systems, which are used in molecular spectroscopy, each subshell has a different level of energy due to a combination of electrostatic repulsions and shielding. But for the most part, I think we should realize that they are identical in many aspects as well.

Madeline Louie 1I

Re: Atomic Spectroscopy vs molecular spectroscopy

Postby Madeline Louie 1I » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:59 pm

I think it is mainly important to understand that the system we elaborated on during class refers a hydrogen atom, only containing a single electron. A more sophisticated model is necessary for molecules and muli-electron systems. Also, the atomic spectra for each atom or molecule has a completely different set of lines due to the unique electronic structure, creating a "spectral fingerprint" for each. I'm not sure if the last part refers to your question that much, but I hope it helps!

Return to “Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy”