Sapling HW #11

H-Atom ()

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Marco Morales 2G

Sapling HW #11

Postby Marco Morales 2G » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:19 am

the question states:

A violet line is observed at 434.0 nm in the spectrum of atomic hydrogen. Determine the values of "n" for the beginning and ending energy levels of the electron during the emission of energy that leads to this spectral line.

n2= ?
n1=?

I know n1 is 2 but I'm having trouble getting n2. Can someone help please?

Stuti Pradhan 2J
Been upvoted: 5 times

Re: Sapling HW #11

Postby Stuti Pradhan 2J » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:22 am

To find n2, convert the wavelength into meters, and then use the equation to find the frequency. Once you find the frequency, you can use the Rydberg equation. Input the frequency, Rydberg's constant, and the final energy level into , and you should be able to find the initial energy level.

Hope this helps!

Mackenzie Van Val 3E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Sapling HW #11

Postby Mackenzie Van Val 3E » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:32 am

Hi Marco! I didn't have this exact question, but the steps should be the same from the one I had.

Step 1: Find the frequency that corresponds to 434.0 nm by using v=c/wavelength. (Remember to convert the wavelength from nm to m.)

Step 2: Using the Rydberg equation, plug the calculated frequency in for v and plug 2 in as n1.

Step 3: Calculate out the Rydberg equation until you can isolate and solve for n2. You have to rearrange a lot of the numbers (i.e. divide both sides by Rydberg's constant, etc.), but in the end you should be left with a decimal that's equal to 1/n2^2, which will allow you to solve for n2.

These are the steps that worked for me. I hope this helps!

Return to “Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy”