Rydberg Equation for ions?

H-Atom ()

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Madison Muggeo 3H

Rydberg Equation for ions?

Postby Madison Muggeo 3H » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:00 pm

Random question, could the Rydberg equation be theoretically used for another ion of a different element such as He+1? Or does it have completely different properties than H, and could not be used?

Mary Gallo 1G
Been upvoted: 4 times

Re: Rydberg Equation for ions?

Postby Mary Gallo 1G » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:28 pm

I believe that the Rydberg Equation can only be used for hydrogen atoms (or hydrogen-like species containing only one atom) because it stems from the Bohr model of a hydrogen atom. The Bohr model doesn't account for more than one electron or electron-electron interactions. Because He+ only has one electron, the Rydberg Equation should work for that ion.

AndrewNguyen_2H

Postby AndrewNguyen_2H » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:02 pm

It works for hydrogn-like ions like He positive. In order to account for the stronger nuclear charge due to more protons you multiple by Z^2. Z is the atomic number.

Chinmayi Mutyala 3H

Postby Chinmayi Mutyala 3H » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:58 pm

This works for hydrogen only. There are some "corrections" that need to be made when doing this for other elements. I'm pretty sure we're just focusing on hydrogen but there's some information on this in the textbook.

Jack_Pearce_2H

Postby Jack_Pearce_2H » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:59 pm

I believe it should be only hydrogen, so potentially the rydberg equation could work for ions OF hydrogen. That being said it must be hydrogen that is the ion

Return to “Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy”