sapling #6

H-Atom ()

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Hana Sigsbee 3B

sapling #6

Postby Hana Sigsbee 3B » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:26 pm

"The electron in a hydrogen atom is excited to the n=6 shell and emits electromagnetic radiation when returning to lower energy levels. Determine the number of spectral lines that could appear when this electron returns to the lower energy levels, as well as the wavelength range in nanometers." would someone be able to help me work out this problem? I got the number of spectral lines but I've tried to find the wavelength range about 5 times now and I've gotten it wrong every time but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong because I'm following the instructions given in the hint.

Winzel Payumo 1B

Re: sapling #6

Postby Winzel Payumo 1B » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:34 pm

I got a n=5 instead of 6, but what I did is first, I solved for the wavelength when it went from n=5 (n=6 in your case) to n=4 (n=5 for you). When I plugged those into Rydberg's equation, i was able to get my frequency, and by using c = λν, I was able to get the wavelength for that scenario and converted from m to nm. Then, I solved for the wavelength when it went from n=5 to n=1 (n=6 to n=1 for you). I did the same steps and got the wavelength for this scenario. I put my answers in by putting the shorter wavelength first (which should be the second scenario) and the longer one for the other.

AndrewNguyen_2H

Re: sapling #6

Postby AndrewNguyen_2H » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:00 pm

Use Rydberg's equation to find the frequency of the max energy transfer which is from 6 to 1 and the lowest energy transfer which is from 6 to 5. After finding the two frequencies convert them to wavelength using the light constant equation.

Return to “Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy”