emitting light and changing energy levels

H-Atom ()

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Been upvoted: 1 time

emitting light and changing energy levels

Postby 905290504 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:55 am

I was working on this question:
"An excited hydrogen atom emits light with a frequency of 1/14 x 10^14 Hz to reach the energy level n=4. In what principle quantum level did the electron begin?"

I thought that atoms only emit light when they're moving down quantum levels by emitting a photon, but this is saying that the atom is emitting light but also is "excited" which would indicate that it's moving up energy levels. I feel like this question is contradicting itself, but maybe I'm just confused.

Please let me know what you guys think and if anyone gets an answer please let me know so we can compare!

Arielle Sass 2A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: emitting light and changing energy levels

Postby Arielle Sass 2A » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:03 am

Hi,
I think an "excited" electron means one that is already in the "excited" state, as in it is at a higher energy level n than it originally was, before it absorbed any light. So when the excited atom emits light, the electron moves back down to a lower energy level and becomes, at least partially, "un"-excited.
I don't have the answer but when doing the calculations, I would set n=4 as the final energy level and solve for initial.

Return to “Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy”