Electrons falling back on any n > 2

H-Atom ()

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jiayi_Cao_3E

Electrons falling back on any n > 2

Postby Jiayi_Cao_3E » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:03 pm

Hello! Besides the Lyman and Balmer Series, do we have to understand and memorize any other ones? I searched on google and there are some descriptions of "Paschen series."

Also, usually how many energy levels are there for an atomic spectra to have a category such as n1 = UV, n2 = visible light, and n3 = IR

Irene Kang 3F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Electrons falling back on any n > 2

Postby Irene Kang 3F » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:44 pm

I don't think any other series or like n=... needs to be memorized since there was nothing in the lecture or textbook about them. For the Paschen series, that is for n=3 or for the infrared region.

Theoretically, the atomic spectra has an infinite number of energy levels but I'm pretty sure we will use up to 6 or 7(which is based on the periodic table) energy levels.

Jiayi_Cao_3E

Re: Electrons falling back on any n > 2

Postby Jiayi_Cao_3E » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:04 pm

Irene Kang 3F wrote:I don't think any other series or like n=... needs to be memorized since there was nothing in the lecture or textbook about them. For the Paschen series, that is for n=3 or for the infrared region.

Theoretically, the atomic spectra has an infinite number of energy levels but I'm pretty sure we will use up to 6 or 7(which is based on the periodic table) energy levels.

Oh ok that's good to know. Thanks!

Return to “Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy”