rydberg

H-Atom ()

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Chaleah Duran

rydberg

Postby Chaleah Duran » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:02 pm

When should we use rydberg's equation and when should we use delta E= Ei-Ef. What is the difference?

AudreyQian1J

Re: rydberg

Postby AudreyQian1J » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:24 pm

Hello,
The Rydberg's Equation may be used when a problem involves the energy transition of an electron or other particle from one energy level to another (ni and nf). Delta E = Ef - Ei is part of Bohr's equation and proves the Law of Conservation of Energy; it may also be used to derive Rydberg's Equation.

For example, to find the lower energy level that an atom moved to from a higher energy level would require the Rydberg's Equation. To figure out whether n1 or n2 in v = R[1/n1^2 - 1/n2^2] is the final or initial energy level, we can first use law of conservation of energy, delta E = Ef - Ei. Since we're going from higher energy to low energy, the equation would then be delta E = -(Ef - Ei). Rearrange this equation to get the delta energy of the atom: E= Ei - Ef. From there, you may determine that n1 in the Rydberg equation v = R[1/n1^2 - 1/n2^2] is the initial energy level, whereas n2 is the final energy level: v = R[1/ni^2 - 1/nf^2].

I hope that helped and made sense.

Chaleah Duran

Re: rydberg

Postby Chaleah Duran » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:56 pm

I do understand that! So they can both be used when solving energy transitions. Thank you so much for replying to me.

Return to “Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy”