Achieve #8-9

H-Atom ()

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

RJ Lopez 2l

Achieve #8-9

Postby RJ Lopez 2l » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:13 am

Calculate the wavelength, in nanometers, of the spectral line produced when an electron in a hydrogen atom undergoes the transition from the energy level n=7
to the level n=1

I use the equation given on “feedback” but I can’t seem to get the right answer. What is the correct equation I am supposed to use and how do I set it equal to lamda.

Ivy Nguyen 3I

Re: Achieve #8-9

Postby Ivy Nguyen 3I » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:29 am

Hi!

I believe the feedback tells you to use the equation v = R[1/n^2 - 1/N^2] where n= final shell and N is initial subshell. You would then solve for v (frequency) and use the equation c = v(lambda) as you would then be able to find the wavelength from that. However, you can also use E = -hR/n^2 and solve for both shells then subtract the final from initial. From there, you would have the energy difference and be able to set that equal to E = hc/(lambda) to solve for lambda. Hope that helps!

Matthew Vu 3C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Achieve #8-9

Postby Matthew Vu 3C » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:19 am

One way you can solve this is by using the Rydberg equation, v = R((1/(n1)^2) - (1/(n2)^2)). Once you've found frequency, you can use the speed of light equation to find wavelength.

Another way to solve it would be to use the equation E= -(hR)/(n^2). You would find the energy for each level, subtract the initial energy from the final energy (Efinal-Einitial), and use the equation E=hc/lambda to find the wavelength.

Return to “Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy”