Balmer and Lyman Series

H-Atom ()

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

DArcy Perlman 1C

Balmer and Lyman Series

Postby DArcy Perlman 1C » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:14 pm

I thought that the Balmer series states that a transition ends in n=2 and the Lyman series states that a transition ends in n=1. This would mean that nfinal (or n2) for the Balmer series would equal 2, and nfinal (or n2) for the Lyman series would equal 1. But for the Achieve homework and in the atomic spectra module, it states that Balmer series has n1=2, and Lyman series has n1=1. Which is correct? Is the Balmer/lyman series condition for n initial or n final?

LyahFitzpatrick 2E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Balmer and Lyman Series

Postby LyahFitzpatrick 2E » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:20 pm

I think the labeling of n1 and n2 doesn’t have to do with the beginning versus end in this case— it just fits with the formula v=R(1/n1^2 - 1/n2^2), where the first term in the parentheses has to have a lesser n value in order for frequency (v) to output positive. (1/a lesser value > 1/a greater value)

So technically n1 is a lesser energy level than n2… it’s the end level.

Rena Wu 3E

Postby Rena Wu 3E » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:39 pm

Hi Darcy! I was a bit confused by the notation for n1 and n2 as well. Looking at the Achieve HW, I believe that the system recognizes n1 as the final energy level and n2 as the initial energy level (I don't know about you, but this is the opposite of what I learned in high school.) You're right that the Lyman series ends with n=1 and Balmer series ends with n=2, it's just the notation. So to answer your question, the Balmer/Lyman series are conditions for n final, or n1. Hope this helps!

Miranda Hess 3I

Postby Miranda Hess 3I » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:59 pm

Hi yeah the n=1, n=2 is indicating the principal quantum number and the energy level associated with it. If you were looking at an energy transition, you would then assign n1, n2 to the transition.

Return to “Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy”