s to p increasing atomic radius

H-Atom ()

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

cherublina1l
Been upvoted: 1 time

s to p increasing atomic radius

Postby cherublina1l » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:36 am

hi i was doing textbook problems and ran into 1D 1 where the answer says n, l, energy, and atomic radius increase as you go from an s to p orbital. I understand everything besides the atomic radius answer. when you go from s to p you go left to right on the ptable which we learned that atomic radius got smaller as a trend, so why is it that if you go from s to p you increase radius and not decrease? I'm assuming it's because you add a subshell but I don't understand why it contradicts the periodic trend we were taught

Jacqueline Duong 1D

Re: s to p increasing atomic radius

Postby Jacqueline Duong 1D » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:13 am

Hi! I believe the periodic trend would apply more when you're comparing two different atoms like Na vs Cl for example. But in this case, if I'm not mistaken, were are looking at the hydrogen atom in itself. If we want to follow the period trend however, I think it could still be applicable, as we know atomic radius increases left and down the periodic table. Even though the 2p-orbital is more to the right than the 1s-orbital, it is lower down the table, and that difference could be enough to make atomic radius on the 2p level bigger.

Return to “Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy”