Formal Charges

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Alexis DeHorta 2A

Formal Charges

Postby Alexis DeHorta 2A » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:52 pm

What are some methods to use when calculating formal charge other than the FC = V - (L + s/2)? How do we know from calculating the formal charges for each, the overall charge of the molecule?

Charlotte McDonough 2B
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Formal Charges

Postby Charlotte McDonough 2B » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:54 pm

I think that's really the only method to calculate formal charge from the lewis structure. But as for your other question, you can find the overall charge of the molecule by adding the formal charge of each atom together.

Carmen Kim 3I

Postby Carmen Kim 3I » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:10 pm

Hi,
From what I’ve learned throughout the lectures, I believe the one specified is the only method e can use to calculate the formal charge. FC = V - ( L + s/2 ) is what I would use as well. Also, you can get the overall charge of the molecule by counting the number of electrons and adding the formal charge of each atom, as someone said above.

Omar Alkhalili 1J

Postby Omar Alkhalili 1J » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:14 pm

Hello! I believe that's the easiest and most straightforward method. You can find the total charge of the molecule by adding together the formal charge of all of the atoms.

Mihir Sukhatme 1D

Postby Mihir Sukhatme 1D » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:50 pm

This is the most standard and easiest way to determine the formal charges. To get the overall charge just add the individual formal charges together. This can also serve as a good sanity check because it allows you to check whether you calculated individual formal charges correctly.

Return to “General Science Questions”