formal charges

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Fatima Valenzuela 3k

formal charges

Postby Fatima Valenzuela 3k » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:45 pm

In homework question we have to draw lewis structures of the polyatomic ions and assign formal charges. How do I draw formal charges and what is it? Where would they go in the structure? Can anyone give me an example please.

Evangelina_0ca

Re: formal charges

Postby Evangelina_0ca » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:55 pm

Hello!

I believe you are talking about Q #2. So a formal charge is the difference between the valence electron of that atom in the elemental state and the number of electrons assigned to that atoms in the lewis structure. Now in order to find it you need to draw a lewis structure by counting the #e- that both N and H have… then, you are going to distribute them and make sure that all of them are in the “happy state.” Then in order to calculate the formal charge you are going to use the formulas FC= V-(L+s/2). Last but not least, you are just going to assigned that to the Lewis structure! I will attach an image here! Hope this helps!
Attachments
IMG_6504.jpeg

Return to “General Science Questions”