Rusty on High School Chem  [ENDORSED]

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Halle Villalobos 3E

Re: Rusty on High School Chem

Postby Halle Villalobos 3E » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:02 pm

Hi! I have not taken chemistry since my sophomore year so I am a little rusty as well. I have found Khan Academy and The Organic Chemistry Tutor videos on youtube to be extremely helpful in explaining concepts. I highly recommend taking a look at both sources. I hope this helps!

Postby 105405231 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:39 pm

Hi, if anyone is rusty on Chem or hasn't taken Chemistry before this course I would like to recommend buying/renting "Everything You Need to Ace Chemistry in One Big Fat Notebook", by Jennifer A. Swanson. It's a funny title, but this book is really useful...it covers topics like stoichiometry, atomic structure, and so much more. A bonus is that it's available for only $15 on Amazon and at Target.

Nick P 3D

Postby Nick P 3D » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:46 pm

I have the same problem, as this is my first time in a chemistry class since sophomore year of high school. What I did was to watch all the modules on Lavelle's website as well as completing the pre and post assessments. This really helped me solidify my base for chemistry. I also skimmed through a lot of the fundamentals section of the textbook and paid some extra attention to subjects I knew I was a little rusty on even after the modules. Hope this helps

Jacob Schwarz-Discussion 3I

Postby Jacob Schwarz-Discussion 3I » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:04 am

Hey Rusty!!
If you watch lavelles audio visual concepts on his website, this should help a lot. I also recommend taking his post module tests multiple times. These caught me up, but he also reviews everything during his lectures. He doesn’t expect you to know much coming in, and reviews everything which is very helpful.

Darren1j

Postby Darren1j » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:39 am

Having retuned from taking the section on coordination compounds and Iron, being rusty on chemistry is a pun in itself.

alebenavides

Postby alebenavides » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:29 pm

does anyone have any tips for chem14b. I heard that class is a little more challenging.

Postby 305405193 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:14 pm

Lavelle this quarter especially with a pandemic and personally not having any experience with chemistry at all coming out of high school provided lots of resources to help learn and digest the material which I appreciated a lot. Also, YouTube videos are very essential and can teach you a lot of the fundamentals in order to apply the themes to much harder problems.

Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby 805421690 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:39 pm

I took chemistry my sophomore year of Highschool, a basic course. I definitely struggled a lot doing this quarter's chemistry and I will say I wish I tried to do a beginners course at my local community college to refresh my memory!

Brianne Conway 1D

Postby Brianne Conway 1D » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:58 pm

I'm a first year and I hadn't taken a chem class since junior year of high school either. For me personally, Khan Academy is a good way to learn and review chemistry topics. That's what helped me get through AP chem haha.

Mary Gallo 1G
Been upvoted: 4 times

Postby Mary Gallo 1G » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:32 pm

Hi! I had very little background in chemistry when I started 14A with Dr. Lavelle last quarter. I was nervous about falling behind, but Dr. Lavelle always made sure to go over the basics/review fundamentals in lectures. Initially I was not utilizing the UA Sessions for extra help. However, I would highly recommend attending these sessions because I found them extremely helpful for both practice and conceptual understanding!

Anvy 1G

Postby Anvy 1G » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:52 pm

Rusty on everything is about the gist of HS chemistry or anything science-related I do agree that a crash course is a good way to about doing things since it basically is a crash course. another way I'm told is to go to the office hour lab sessions the professor has every now and then since it summarizes what we should be doing for the week in question.

Kathrine_Samia_1A

Postby Kathrine_Samia_1A » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:28 pm

Does anyone have a good/ established structure they would want to share when they would study for Chem 14B? I just want to make sure I'm knocking everything to prepare me well for the exams.

Angel More

Postby Angel More » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:21 pm

Kathrine_Samia_1A wrote:Does anyone have a good/ established structure they would want to share when they would study for Chem 14B? I just want to make sure I'm knocking everything to prepare me well for the exams.

I really recommend the textbook and sapling problems. Based on Chem14A it seems like Lavelle tends to pull questions from the practice he assigns us. I also would recommend looking over the outlines for the unit and making sure that you understand all of the concepts listed. Lastly, make sure you are familiar with the formula sheet before the exam so you don't waste time looking for equations during the exam.

Charisma Arreola 2F

Postby Charisma Arreola 2F » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:37 pm

A great refresher would be the audio visuals posted on Dr. Lavelle’s website, because they cover the basics and can help you get reintroduced into the chapter.

Devan Nathu - 2H

Postby Devan Nathu - 2H » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:52 pm

Definitely do a brief review! Professors do make sure you get the gist of it again before you do assignments and whatnot, they don't just throw you in. Also there are plenty of opportunities for questions not only through chemistry community, but through office hours and discussions as well! So don't worry, you'll get the hang!

Kathrine_Samia_1A

Postby Kathrine_Samia_1A » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:39 pm

Angel More wrote:
Kathrine_Samia_1A wrote:Does anyone have a good/ established structure they would want to share when they would study for Chem 14B? I just want to make sure I'm knocking everything to prepare me well for the exams.

I really recommend the textbook and sapling problems. Based on Chem14A it seems like Lavelle tends to pull questions from the practice he assigns us. I also would recommend looking over the outlines for the unit and making sure that you understand all of the concepts listed. Lastly, make sure you are familiar with the formula sheet before the exam so you don't waste time looking for equations during the exam.

This is much helpful than trying to navigate everything on my own. Thank you so much for your help! Also, did you find reading the chapters very helpful? I thought Dr. Lavelle's lecture was enough on my end?

Angel More

Postby Angel More » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:42 am

Kathrine_Samia_1A wrote:
Angel More wrote:

This is much helpful than trying to navigate everything on my own. Thank you so much for your help! Also, did you find reading the chapters very helpful? I thought Dr. Lavelle's lecture was enough on my end?

Ya I agree, Dr. Lavelle's lecture go through everything you need to know for the exams, so I don't read the textbook!

Moura Girgis 1F

Postby Moura Girgis 1F » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:16 pm

Joyce Wu 3E wrote:I took AP chemistry back when I was a sophomore in high school and am now taking 14A as a freshman in college so I understand how frustrating it is to forget the majority of the chemistry once learned. One tip I would have is to finish all the modules Dr. Lavelle posted on his website and also breeze through Crash Course videos on youtube. The practice problems he gave us in the course reader also helps.

Same here! Also reviewing my chemistry notes from high school has been an extra help

Postby 305405193 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:44 pm

I am taking 14B and I am still really scared to keep going into chemistry because I still do not know how to study for chemistry and not having developed that ability since high school.

Postby 305405193 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:44 pm

Other than PLFs are there any good tutoring sessions or people who offer services?

Devan Nathu - 2H

Postby Devan Nathu - 2H » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:28 pm

I think just re-familiarizing yourself with the material will go a long way. They won't just throw you into material and expect you to know everything off the bat, but that doesn't mean you may not feel flustered at first. I think even glancing over your previous chemistry notes from high school would help a little. But to be completely honest, I did NOT do that and I was fine. They really don't just throw you into stuff it is indeed a process.

Ruben Adamov 1E

Postby Ruben Adamov 1E » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:30 pm

I'm pretty rusty as well. The last time I took chemistry was like junior year which was basically three years ago. My plan to do well in this course is to utilize all the resources the instructors provide us (i.e. tutoring, etc). Other than that I am going to try and understand the concepts of chemistry rather than just memorize a series of equations and how to solve them. Hope this helps!!!

Syrah Tamola 3C

Postby Syrah Tamola 3C » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:07 am

Hello! I'm also on the same boat. The last time I took a chemistry class was in my junior year of high school. From then, the pandemic hit and my teacher didn't know how to keep up with the new system of using zoom and stuff. I excelled in that class but since then I've forgotten what to do with a lot of what I found in the FUNDAMENTAL sections that the prof has assigned for review. The empirical and molecular formulas are pretty easy to grasp I just need to practice more problems and probably watch Khan Academy videos. I'm just really glad that I'm not the only one that's rusty on high school chemistry.

celiaplaut3H

Postby celiaplaut3H » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:46 pm

These really helped me and are a good resource because we can go back to them throughout the entire quarter

Jordyn Lee 1J

Postby Jordyn Lee 1J » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:45 am

Is the course reader something that we need to purchase or can I find it online somewhere? I am not sure what it is.

Jayden Tan 2L

Postby Jayden Tan 2L » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:00 pm

I found your post really helpful as I also don't have a basic foundation in chemistry. On top of that, I feel as if I am totally behind when it comes to knowing basic chemistry facts that I low-key get imposter syndrome. However, I will utilize Khan Academy as well as Dr. Lavelle's Resources to try to catch up. Thanks for posting.

Justin_Choo_3J
Been upvoted: 4 times

Postby Justin_Choo_3J » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:37 pm

Jordyn Lee 1C wrote:Is the course reader something that we need to purchase or can I find it online somewhere? I am not sure what it is.

Hi Jordyn,

I sifted through a few posts in Chemistry Community regarding your inquiry and I believe UCLA's chemistry department does not use course readers anymore. If you are referring to the required textbook, however, you must make a purchase via the following link: http://www.achieve.macmillanlearning.com. The direct link to the digital textbook is located in http://www.ccle.ucla.edu > Site Info (scroll all the way down) > Chemical Principles eBook. Making your purchase via the inclusive access program is most ideal (alternative prices in vendors such as Amazon and eBay are much too high).

Morgan Micallef 1A

Postby Morgan Micallef 1A » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:29 pm

I’m in the same position as you right now, the audio visual resources were really helpful and I’ve been going through the resources posted under week one on CCLE!

Postby 905744270 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:42 pm

I've been reading a lot of these messages and the common theme is that we're all at least a little rusty in the chemistry world - so clearly not one of us is alone! I have found that actually going to office hours in person is what makes me learn the best as it holds me accountable for actually doing the work with someone of authority watching me AND it's more fun that just doing it at home alone. That's what I'll be doing a lot this year and I hope I'll see a lot of you guys there as well :)

Anisa Subbiah 14B 1L

Postby Anisa Subbiah 14B 1L » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:31 pm

I'm an IB Student and did Chemistry HL. It was just before summer but I feel the same way: that I am rusty when it comes to doing Chemistry. I think that with practice this feeling will fade away but I am not sure. I hope that by the time mid-terms come around the subject feels familiar to me again

Ruiyu Li 3I

Postby Ruiyu Li 3I » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:32 am

Hey! I have similar situation with you. I only took chemistry course when I was a freshman in high school and I found myself barely remember anything lol. I found the Audio-Visual Focus Topics videos are extremely helpful. And professor Lavelle’s lectures in week0 and week1 also focus on high school materials. You can also go to the textbook if you want to get more practices.

Adithi Ayyala 2G

Postby Adithi Ayyala 2G » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:19 am

I think there are two key steps to truly understanding chemistry. The first is to do every possible problem you can think of pertaining to a subject you do not understand. Practice in chemistry is truly the best way to gain a better grasp of concepts, but of course, diligent notetaking and preparation are necessary steps prior to working laboriously. The second step is to believe you can do it. Remember, there are so many great resources online, whether it be this forum, Khan Academy, Science Dave, or My Organic Chem Tutor. You have what you need to succeed, just look around for it! You can do this. :)))

Anika Scott 3A

Postby Anika Scott 3A » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:36 am

At the end of the day, you just have to utilize your resources. Take advantage of the TA's, office hours, the textbook, and obviously the internet. Don't be afraid to ask questions because you are not the only one, I know some people who haven't even taken any chemistry at all. I would advise that you try and see what topics we are going to go over, establish which ones you are the most concerned about, and then sit and spend time going examples and teaching yourself.

Arjun_Anumula_3E

Postby Arjun_Anumula_3E » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:56 am

I understand the concept of Molarity, but I remember the word "Molality" being thrown around during high school and I don't really know what it is. Is it also a measure of concentration? I would appreciate if anyone could help me out? Thanks, Arjun

Postby 105784203 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:56 am

Chigozie_Nnoruka_1K wrote:Hello, this is my first time taking a chemistry course since my senior year of high school and I am currently a second year. I was just wondering for someone who is on chem in general, what tips can I use to guide me through this 14A course?

I recommend doing the syllabus problems. As said in the syllabus, many of the syllabus questions are on the test so it will probably be very beneficial to do them.

Postby 605778346 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:18 pm

I totally feel the same. I had taken Chemistry sophomore year in high school and it's extremely frustrating to memorize concepts from 3 years ago. However, Professor Lavelle has a lot of helpful modules to work through

Ben Zhang 2H

Postby Ben Zhang 2H » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:31 pm

Arjun_Anumula_3E wrote:I understand the concept of Molarity, but I remember the word "Molality" being thrown around during high school and I don't really know what it is. Is it also a measure of concentration? I would appreciate if anyone could help me out? Thanks, Arjun

I think molality is the ratio of moles of the solute to the kilograms of the solvent. On the other hand, molarity is the ratio of moles of the solute to the liters of the solution. So I think molality is also a measure of concentration, it's just a different type of measurement from molarity.

Ben Zhang 2H

Postby Ben Zhang 2H » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:36 pm

Arjun_Anumula_3E wrote:I understand the concept of Molarity, but I remember the word "Molality" being thrown around during high school and I don't really know what it is. Is it also a measure of concentration? I would appreciate if anyone could help me out? Thanks, Arjun

I think molality is the ratio of moles of the solute to the kilograms of the solvent. On the other hand, molarity is the ratio of moles of the solute to the liters of the solution. So I think molality is also a measure of concentration, it's just a different type of measurement from molarity.

Gabi_Maldonado_1B

Postby Gabi_Maldonado_1B » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:05 pm

Me too! I haven't take chemistry in about 3 years. I'm finding that in reviewing Professor Lavelle's Audiovisual focus topics (which he assigns anyway) have been super helpful before heading to class. That way, I have more than one opportunity to digest the information (in lectures and in his videos).

Harrington Bubb3A

Postby Harrington Bubb3A » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:42 pm

Alexandra_Ivanova_1A wrote:Just to add on-- Crash Course on Youtube is great for conceptual chemistry and overarching themes, and really helps with understanding the "greater picture" when it comes to some concepts. If you are looking for more step-by-step instruction with worked out examples, I'd highly recommend using Khan Academy's chemistry section: https://www.khanacademy.org/science/chemistry.

As for in person instruction, from what I can tell, many students find utilizing TA's, UA's, and office hours to be very helpful as well.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will definitely watch some crash course videos because I am certainly rusty!

Harrington Bubb3A

Postby Harrington Bubb3A » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:43 pm

605778346 wrote:I totally feel the same. I had taken Chemistry sophomore year in high school and it's extremely frustrating to memorize concepts from 3 years ago. However, Professor Lavelle has a lot of helpful modules to work through

Do you know of any other good youtube video series to watch that have helped you?

Rio Gagnon 1G

Postby Rio Gagnon 1G » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:56 pm

I feel this, but I've found the Audio-Visual Focus-Topics to be super helpful, also Prof Lavelle lists a ton of practice problems in the textbook for every unit and there's even a link on his site to common errors, which is pretty useful. Also whenever we start a new topic, he always starts off with basic review that way everyone is on the same page, so there's no reason to stress.
In addition, there's a lot of resources on the fiveable website, which basically reviews all of AP chem.

Tristan Friet 3G

Postby Tristan Friet 3G » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:09 pm

Harrington Bubb3A wrote:
605778346 wrote:I totally feel the same. I had taken Chemistry sophomore year in high school and it's extremely frustrating to memorize concepts from 3 years ago. However, Professor Lavelle has a lot of helpful modules to work through

Do you know of any other good youtube video series to watch that have helped you?

Khan Academy or Crash Course!

Reece Fong 2k

Postby Reece Fong 2k » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:19 pm

I would say one thing to make sure you do is make sure you know how to navigate your scientific calculator very well and make sure you know how and why the equations we learn work. Don't just remember the equations and plug things in. :)

Alejandra Hernandez 2A

Postby Alejandra Hernandez 2A » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:32 pm

Alexandra_Ivanova_1A wrote:Just to add on-- Crash Course on Youtube is great for conceptual chemistry and overarching themes, and really helps with understanding the "greater picture" when it comes to some concepts. If you are looking for more step-by-step instruction with worked out examples, I'd highly recommend using Khan Academy's chemistry section: https://www.khanacademy.org/science/chemistry.

As for in person instruction, from what I can tell, many students find utilizing TA's, UA's, and office hours to be very helpful as well.

Yes! I definitely agree, Crash Course is an amazing resource especially when you're already familiar with a topic and just need a quick refresher. I often find myself watching a Crash Course video not when I'm necessarily stuck on a specific problem but when I feel a little unsure on a topic I learned in High School and is no longer fresh in my mind.

Alejandra Hernandez 2A

Postby Alejandra Hernandez 2A » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:37 pm

Reece Fong 2k wrote:I would say one thing to make sure you do is make sure you know how to navigate your scientific calculator very well and make sure you know how and why the equations we learn work. Don't just remember the equations and plug things in. :)

I agree!!! This is especially helpful because a lot of calculators function very differently so actually learning how equations work and how they are constructed instead of just memorizing buttons on a calculator is definitely very helpful.

Julia Zahra

Postby Julia Zahra » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:29 pm

I've found that doing the modules before the start of a new unit is helpful.

Travis Wang 2G

Postby Travis Wang 2G » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:59 pm

I feel the same way about Chem. I trust Professor Lavelle's lectures and resources will provide anyone seeking help chances to succeed

Angela Harrington 2L

Postby Angela Harrington 2L » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:45 pm

I totally understand how you feel, I am also really rusty in chemistry at the moment. Going through all of the optional textbook problems in Lavelle's syllabus, going to office hours and peer learning sessions, and even watching some crash course videos on Youtube are some good options to try to help you feel more comfortable with the material. I hope that helps!

Carla Bruebach 1C

Postby Carla Bruebach 1C » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:29 pm

I am also super rusty at chem since I did not take AP Chem in high school, I haven't taken it since Sophomore year! What I have heard from others is try and do a little bit of Chem every day- whether it's practice problems or notes, keeping your mind in a chem mindset is always the best way to build knowledge! It also helps to go to every TA or UA session you can go to and be prepared with questions!

Emma Goellner 2I

Postby Emma Goellner 2I » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:16 pm

Like many other people, the last time I took a chemistry course was in my sophomore year of high school. For me, revisiting some of the same study techniques I employed during that time has been very helpful. Watching videos from Hank Green is one of my favorite ways to review content, and I highly recommend his Crash Course Chemistry videos! Videos with animations, such as the Crash Course series, can make it easier to visualize and conceptualize certain topics. I also went through Dr. Lavelle's recommended modules on the Chemistry 14a website, which was a great refresher on basic high school chemistry concepts. Spending the time to take effective notes, drawing out diagrams, and making note of what is difficult for you is really important.

Esmeralda_Solis_2D

Postby Esmeralda_Solis_2D » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:26 pm

I was worried about chemistry too because the last time I took a class was during my sophomore year of high school. I'm currently in my second year here at UCLA so its been a pretty long time. Nevertheless, the best way to improve in chemistry is to practice. Dr. Lavelle already provides us with enough resources to actually learn so take advantage of that. Also take time to do more practice problems on other online platforms. Khanacademy is a great resource and has worked for me.

Postby 205769933 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:04 pm

I’ve taken AP chem but chemistry has always been one of my worst subjects so I’m a little worried about the pace of the quarter system and such. Hopefully I can keep up with the speed and get a good review of chem.

HannahArabi14a

Postby HannahArabi14a » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:40 pm

I am rusty on high chemistry as well! You are not alone on this. Something that helps we reintroduce chemistry topics and how to figure out problems is using Khan Academy as a resource. Also, Professor Lavelle provides clear and guided modules on the most essential information to review from high school. Another, study strategy I like to utilize is using flash cards for terminology and important concepts. Office hours and tutoring from your discussion advisor I would recommend using to clear up any misunderstandings or questions you may have. On youtube I found that the Organic Chemistry Tutor to be clear and concise on how to solve any chemistry problem you have need brushing up upon.

Hope this helps! I look forward to a great quarter!

Hannah Arabi
Chem Section 14A

Denise Chavez 2G

Postby Denise Chavez 2G » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:41 pm

I haven't taken any chemistry classes since my sophomore year of high school, but what I recommend is going over the fundamental homework problems for extra practice as well as watching khan academy for step-by-step breakdowns of problems pertaining to the topics you are having trouble with.

Lexi Tempera 3B

Postby Lexi Tempera 3B » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:23 pm

I am in the same boat! I last took Honors Chemistry my sophomore year of high school and am now a second year.

I plan to make weekly study guide-like review sheets modeled off of the learning outcomes -- does anyone think that this will be helpful or have other suggestions on the best way to study? Please let me know! Let me know as well if you're interested in forming study groups :)

Kiana Rogers 1E

Postby Kiana Rogers 1E » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:36 pm

I feel the same way! I took honors chemistry my sophomore year of high school, and it feels like I pretty much forgot everything that I learned. Going through the audio-visual topics and websites such as crash course and khan academy help me remember!

Wilson Zheng 1L

Postby Wilson Zheng 1L » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:42 pm

I would also say that I'm rusty on Chem! However, I believe that the numerous resources provided to us by Dr. Lavelle will be more than enough to sharpen our skills as a group (I still have a LOT more textbook questions to do!).

Postby 505739628 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:25 am

I took AP Chem in high school and my biggest tip is just to do as many practice problems as you can! It really is true that practice makes perfect and I found that I did the best on tests in high school when I did a lot of active practice problems. Obviously taking notes and doing the reading is very helpful too, but at the end of the day, most chemistry questions are problem solving related and if you can get comfortable with the practices used to solve the problem before the test, it will definitely pay off!

Jesse Amaya

Postby Jesse Amaya » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:20 am

Lexi Tempera 3L wrote:I am in the same boat! I last took Honors Chemistry my sophomore year of high school and am now a second year.

I plan to make weekly study guide-like review sheets modeled off of the learning outcomes -- does anyone think that this will be helpful or have other suggestions on the best way to study? Please let me know! Let me know as well if you're interested in forming study groups :)

Hi!
I think this would be extremely helpful especially when it's time to take midterms. You will have everything in one place, making it simple to review. The PLF and UA sessions seem to be beneficial to students who are rusty on chem like me, so that's my next move. I would definitely like to be part of any study group, please let me know :D.

Julia Todorov 2F

Postby Julia Todorov 2F » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:50 am

I took regular chem my sophomore year of highschool and it honestly seems like I know close to nothing about chem! The step up zoom program he created has been really helpful so I would suggest going to some of those and the modules he posted helped a lot too. Youtube and Khan Academy are always good options too, and of course doing practice problems!!!

Mari Masunaga 1G

Postby Mari Masunaga 1G » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:02 pm

I totally understand how you feel! I'm not really sure what your living situation is (if you're on the hill or if your commuting etc), but I thinking something that would be really helpful is referencing your old notes from high school. If you have easy access to them I think that'd be really helpful. I also find that compiling a list of definitions and equations really helps.

Ariella Sassover 3A

Postby Ariella Sassover 3A » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:54 pm

I also haven't taken chem since my sophomore year of high school and that was 5 years ago (I took a gap year). To begin with I didn't learn much since my chem teacher was a history major in college who was learning the material at the same time as us. But we'll be okay! My friend who went to the same high school as me also took 14A with Lavelle. She said she heavily relied on "the organic chemistry tutor" and "professor Dave" YouTube channels to get teach her the basic concepts and get her through it. I've also found the homework problems really good practice since a lot of these concepts I'm unfamiliar with, but am learning by looking explanations up as I go.

Carlie_Dorostkar_1A

Postby Carlie_Dorostkar_1A » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:54 pm

Seems like a lot of us are in the same boat. I thought that I was remembering a lot of the content from my sophomore year of high school, but I guess it really was the very basic equations I felt confident on. The quantum world section sounds more like physics at this point, but at least it has only been a year and a half since I've taken physics.

Carlie_Dorostkar_1A

Postby Carlie_Dorostkar_1A » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:00 pm

Seems like a lot of us are in the same boat. I thought that I was remembering a lot of the content from my sophomore year of high school, but I guess it really was the very basic equations I felt confident on. The quantum world section sounds more like physics at this point, but at least it has only been a year and a half since I've taken physics.

Alexis DeHorta 2A

Postby Alexis DeHorta 2A » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:51 pm

I definitely agree with most people that the audio-visual topic videos help EXTREMELY in terms of refreshing on high school chemistry or even just getting a gist for the newer topics being introduced. They helped me grasp the fundamentals for each topic, and slowly helped me learn how to apply the steps I learned in the videos to more complex problems that arise in the textbooks during self-study. Even if I didn't understand after watching the video a first time, going back and trying to get the main takeaways helps!

Emily Wan 1l

Postby Emily Wan 1l » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:28 pm

For review of general concepts in chemistry, I have found videos by Khan Academy, Bozeman Science, The Organic Chemistry Tutor, and Richard Thornley to be particularly helpful!

Samantha Quevedo 2L

Postby Samantha Quevedo 2L » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:49 pm

A great way to review general concepts is just go on youtube. There are videos for everything such the amazing videos by The Organic Chemistry Tutor that provide clear explanations and clear visuals to go allow with it. I have not taken chem in a long time so these videos are extremely helpful.

Postby 305824279 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:46 pm

When I took chem during my junior year, I found it very helpful to make a study guide for each topic in which I would emphasize concepts and list the procedures needed in detail.

Aaron Kwan 3B

Postby Aaron Kwan 3B » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:46 pm

You got this! I am also slightly rusty in chem, being a freshman rn, took AP chem close to 2 years ago (when i was a sophmore in HS). My tips would be to skim through the textbook and write down any formulas, to jog your memory.

Postby 905715668 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:56 pm

I love Professor Dave and The Organic Chemistry Tutor on YouTube. They both have great teaching styles. Also, you can watch any AP Chemistry video the College Board made during the pandemic on their YouTube channel. Those videos are well put together, too.

Postby 905715668 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:59 pm

I think learning the basic bonding rules and periodic table trends are the most important things to lay a good foundation for chemistry. They are also things people learn in high school but just forget.

Ben Zhang 2H

Postby Ben Zhang 2H » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:35 pm

Does anyone know how to tell if a molecule is an acid or a base just by looking at its molecular formula?

Kirsten Yu 2K

Postby Kirsten Yu 2K » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:49 pm

I totally get where you're coming from. As someone who hasn't taken a chemistry course since Chem H sophomore year, I definitely feel rusty as well. The most helpful thing for me so far has been utilizing Professor Lavelle's modules. They've been really helpful with jogging my memory.

Ameerah Hameed 3B

Postby Ameerah Hameed 3B » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:07 pm

I found rewatching Dr. Lavelle's Audio-Visual Focus-Topics incredibly helpful regarding refreshing myself on chemistry. Also, I always was a student that believed independently studying worked best for me, but recently I began forming study groups and I highly recommend. Even when there are subjects where you feel as though you are sturdy in, simply describing the concepts to a student that may be confused strengthens your understanding on it even more.

amar_151

Postby amar_151 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:23 pm

I attended a workshop last week and it really helped me recognize whether or not I knew the content, both concepts and multi-step problems. It was brutal but now I know I need to attend more!

Theo Teske 3B

Postby Theo Teske 3B » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:47 pm

amar_151 wrote:I attended a workshop last week and it really helped me recognize whether or not I knew the content, both concepts and multi-step problems. It was brutal but now I know I need to attend more!

Where/when was this workshop? I might be interested in attending one myself. Also, who was running the workshop?

LillianHarvey2C

Postby LillianHarvey2C » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:20 pm

Janelle Magaling 3L wrote:I am also super rusty in chemistry! The last I took chem was my sophomore year of high school and even then it wasn’t my best subject. However I’ve been feeling better about chemistry because Prof Lavelle has given us so many resources! There’s his modules which are practice problems and videos of his lectures. Plus lots and lots of office hours, workshops, and step up sessions! If you can’t attend those sessions then there’s always the internet! The weekly outline on the website details all the topics we are studying so that is super helpful!

I have a very similar story and issue in that I took chem as a sophomore too. The resources that the class gives are really helpful and also there's so many tutorials and lessons on YouTube that are very helpful as well. This thread makes you feel less worried because there's so many others that are probably needing the same help, so thank you:)

Postby 505766240 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:47 pm

Ameerah Hameed 3B wrote:I found rewatching Dr. Lavelle's Audio-Visual Focus-Topics incredibly helpful regarding refreshing myself on chemistry. Also, I always was a student that believed independently studying worked best for me, but recently I began forming study groups and I highly recommend. Even when there are subjects where you feel as though you are sturdy in, simply describing the concepts to a student that may be confused strengthens your understanding on it even more.

I agree! The Audio-Visual Focus-Topics really helped in refreshing my chemistry knowledge since I haven't taken it since junior year of high school and it made me feel less nervous going into this course. For me, I also like to study with friends, but I like to try and do the problems by myself, and if I get stuck then I would ask for help. Walking through problems step by step with friends lets me discover new ways to solve it. I haven't gone to any office hours yet though, so I wonder how helpful those are.

raynebunado

Postby raynebunado » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:49 pm

Hi!

I too took AP Chem my sophomore year so I definitely can relate to the struggle of being rusty. My best tips are to check out crash course videos on YT or utilizing Khan Academy. I also photoscanned all my AP Chem note packets because I knew I was going to encounter it again in college so that has definitely helped simplify the material.

N Kanuri 2E

Postby N Kanuri 2E » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:51 pm

This is something I have been struggling with, too, as I haven't taken a chemistry course in two years. Something that's helped me is going through my high school chem notes and reading the passages in the textbook to refresh my understanding of concepts. The practice problems are also great!

Madeline_Miller

Postby Madeline_Miller » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:55 pm

Hi! I'm in a very similar situation, so I completely understand how frustrating it can be right now to try to learn the material, whether it be for the first or second time. I'm also struggling a little bit, and because I'm also rusty, I've been trying to go to UA sessions because they are excellent for asking questions and getting one-on-one help if you need it. Besides that, I'm trying to do as many practice problems as possible to try and understand each concept better. I hope this helps!

Alexa Marinelli-1B

Postby Alexa Marinelli-1B » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:05 pm

Hi one thing I would keep in mind is that you are not the only one who feels this way! That being said, I have started going to the UA sessions and they have helped so much. I definitely recommend start going to those and you should feel better!

Postby 505784197 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:10 pm

I'm a freshman taking general chemistry right now but I heard from some upperclassmen that the best way to succeed on midterms is to do a lot of practice problems and thinking more theoretically rather than memorizing formulas and whatnot.

Mahli Martinez 2I

Postby Mahli Martinez 2I » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:14 pm

Hi! I have taken chemistry before, but I will be honest in saying that it has been a while and I have needed major memory refreshment. I took honors chem my freshman year of high school and AP chemistry the following year, so it has been years since I was in a chemistry course, let alone one this rigorous. I think that doing the practice problems provided to us will be very helpful in staying on top and assuring where you are good at and where you need help. Also, if you are really in need of assistance, office hours are a great resource to take advantage of! You can get hands-on guidance in areas of the course that you are not so confident in.

Alejandra Hernandez 2A

Postby Alejandra Hernandez 2A » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:11 pm

Katherine Sung 2I wrote:I found the Audio-Visual Focus-Topics on Professor Lavelle's site very helpful in reviewing high school chemistry!

I definitely agree with you! It has been very helpful to go back and watch the Audio-Visual-Focus-Topics provided by Professor Lavelle because they are basically a review or a preview (depending on when you watch them) of the lectures that we have in person.

Alejandra Hernandez 2A

Postby Alejandra Hernandez 2A » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:20 pm

I have not taken chemistry since my sophomore year so I can definitely relate to feeling a little lost! Something that has really helped me is looking at the textbook, although there are a lot of other amazing ( and certainly more entertaining) resources for refreshing your memory, our textbook has a lot of reviews on high school topics. I think it would be very beneficial to just give the book a skim and maybe supplement your reading with videos or by talking about what you read with your friends who are also taking chemistry, you never know what you might learn from them.

Jacob Kirkosian 3C

Postby Jacob Kirkosian 3C » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:55 pm

I had the same problem. My AP Chemistry teacher in senior year barely taught and spent more time making jokes about shoes. I’m happy that Dr. Lavelle chooses to spend time teaching quantum concepts so that the rest of Gen. Chem makes sense from a physics perspective.

Alexis Rempillo 3B

Postby Alexis Rempillo 3B » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:10 pm

Hello! I am in a similar position as you. I am not that confident in my skills yet, but in due time I believe we will come to an understanding of the class. Thank you to the person who posted this and others who have commented on tips and their experiences. I hope to use these to the best of my ability.

14b_student 2E

Postby 14b_student 2E » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:13 pm

I'm going through the same issue. Someone in the class GroupMe posted a compilation of a bunch of the textbook practice problems which was really helpful for me to look at their work when I got stuck. The GroupMe has quite a few helpful links and posts so I would take a look at that too.

Xinyue Zou 2K

Postby Xinyue Zou 2K » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:25 pm

I've only taken Honors Chem back in high school and something that's helped me a lot is going to some of the workshops and drop-in sessions offered through Lavelle's UAs Peer Learning sessions. Reading through the textbook and doing the practice questions also helps with understanding.

Maddy Trotter 3D

Postby Maddy Trotter 3D » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:13 pm

I'm in a similar position. I haven't taken chem since my junior year of high school, and I'm feeling a little stressed. I think Crash course is always a good option, or making a study group if that's possible for you!

Sara Dolmo 2J

Postby Sara Dolmo 2J » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:57 pm

I watch the videos the professor has on his website and I watch videos on youtube, specifically by The Organic Chemistry Tutor and I try the problems to give me extra practice. I also look at my old chemistry notes so that I can get extra clarification on questions I might have.

Joseph Ettipio

Postby Joseph Ettipio » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:22 pm

I literally haven't taken chem since sophomore year of high school, and I was struggling on the fundamental stuff too. Khan academy and just putting my head down and grinding through the textbook problems really helped though. My TA too!

AJackman

Postby AJackman » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:24 pm

I find it helpful to print an extra periodic table and mark it up thoroughly as we go along--charges, trends, elements with exceptions to certain rules, etc. It's really the center of everything, so it's helpful to know it well.

Brianna Mercado 3D

Postby Brianna Mercado 3D » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:29 pm

As someone who also hasn't taken chemistry since Junior year in high school, I believe the amount of resources and very well explained lectures helped me calm my nerves down in this class. Something that has also helped me is quizlet exams I constructed on topic definitions!

Neha Jonnalagadda 2D

Postby Neha Jonnalagadda 2D » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:29 pm

One really good resource is using IB chemistry review videos online. I did IB chemistry for two years in high school and felt prepared going into and even taking the first midterm because it went in so much depth that I was able to grasp and remember the concepts from almost two years ago.

Neha Jonnalagadda 2D

Postby Neha Jonnalagadda 2D » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:30 pm

I would also maybe try to join a mentor-menteeship program because UCLA does a really good job of creating clubs that have people experienced in so many different things. You can definitely find one on the club page at ucla or just ask around. Most people I know have upperclassmen that tutor them in STEM subjects here who have already taken the subject.

Litsa Dimit 1D

Postby Litsa Dimit 1D » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:20 am

I haven't taken a chemistry course since sophomore year and I am a freshman right now! What has helped me in his course is definitely going over the fundamentals with Lavelle's recorded lectures or even online study tools! Mastering the basics really helps.

Joellen 1B

Postby Joellen 1B » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:12 pm

Hey! I would recommend searching the topics on khan academy! They've really helped me because they go through the same topics but in a different way than lavelle does which gives you different perspectives and extra practice!

Return to “General Science Questions”