Page 2 of 2

Re: Rusty on High School Chem

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:01 am
by daniela3D
I currently enrolled myself to my Peer Learning Session (PLS) for Chem 14A through AAP and it is very helpful! It is a small group of people with an instructor who has already taken the course who goes over what Lavelle has taught in class and provides work problems to work with.

Re: Rusty on High School Chem

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:55 am
by Ashley P 4I
I am so glad that someone posted this because I always feel like I am out of the loop. There is a lot of people that automatically know the answers for everything and I am so lost sometimes.

Re: Rusty on High School Chem

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:15 pm
by RandallNeeDis3K
I'm in the same position. I'm sure that as long this course isn't taken lightly and you try your hardest, utilizing all of the resources given to us, you will do well!

Re: Rusty on High School Chem

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:40 pm
by Anna O 2C
I have found that Dr. Lavelle is very effective at reviewing all necessary fundamentals needed for that lesson at the beginning of lecture. I took Honors Chemistry sophomore year and I am also a freshman this year. For me at least, the best way I've found to really get through the material is to watch the video modules he has online before lecture and take all my notes on the slideshow before lecture (the slideshows in the videos are almost always nearly identical to the ones in lecture). This way I don't have to focus on writing down everything from lecture and instead I can follow along in my notes and add info as I learn it and be able to really focus in on his commentary rather than focusing on writing down the slides which I already have in my notes. By focusing on new info this way, I have more time to review fundamentals as well.

Re: Rusty on High School Chem

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:44 pm
by Arlene Linares 3A
Alexandra_Ivanova_1A wrote:Just to add on-- Crash Course on Youtube is great for conceptual chemistry and overarching themes, and really helps with understanding the "greater picture" when it comes to some concepts. If you are looking for more step-by-step instruction with worked out examples, I'd highly recommend using Khan Academy's chemistry section: https://www.khanacademy.org/science/chemistry.

As for in person instruction, from what I can tell, many students find utilizing TA's, UA's, and office hours to be very helpful as well.


This sounds really helpful thank you.

Re: Rusty on High School Chem

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:44 pm
by Arlene Linares 3A
Alexandra_Ivanova_1A wrote:Just to add on-- Crash Course on Youtube is great for conceptual chemistry and overarching themes, and really helps with understanding the "greater picture" when it comes to some concepts. If you are looking for more step-by-step instruction with worked out examples, I'd highly recommend using Khan Academy's chemistry section: https://www.khanacademy.org/science/chemistry.

As for in person instruction, from what I can tell, many students find utilizing TA's, UA's, and office hours to be very helpful as well.


This sounds really helpful thank you.

Re: Rusty on High School Chem

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:14 pm
by Zack Barta 3I
I think we all will do great!

Re: Rusty on High School Chem

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:47 pm
by Arlene Linares 3A
Randon_Zahlout_3B wrote:Reading Fundamentals in the textbook before the ones assigned were extremely helpful as well. I felt much more prepared after I read fundamentals A-D specifically. Also, just reading the textbook provides more background knowledge that helps understanding the course reader as well.


Would you recommend reading the textbook before lecture?

Re: Rusty on High School Chem

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:57 pm
by 105085381
I have been reviewing each concept after lecture by watching the Crash Course videos on YouTube. They have been helpful in clarifying and breaking down what is being taught in class. I definitely recommend watching a few. Hope it helps!

Re: Rusty on High School Chem

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:56 pm
by 904983525
Cameron_Greenberg_3C wrote:I'm in a similar place having not taken Chemistry in 4 years. I worried about this as well but I have come to realize that this class is lower division and therefore Lavelle is accustomed to teaching rusty students. He gave many useful resources including study sessions both on the Hill and on campus, several times every day. Taking notes and reading the material are super important too especially having not learned many of the concepts in AP Chemistry. Either way I believe staying on task will allow you to be successful in this class. Good luck!



Thank you for the advice and information, very helpful. I also am a lot rusty in chemistry and do not really have much chemistry background.

Re: Rusty on High School Chem

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:57 pm
by 904983525
Anna O 1A wrote:I have found that Dr. Lavelle is very effective at reviewing all necessary fundamentals needed for that lesson at the beginning of lecture. I took Honors Chemistry sophomore year and I am also a freshman this year. For me at least, the best way I've found to really get through the material is to watch the video modules he has online before lecture and take all my notes on the slideshow before lecture (the slideshows in the videos are almost always nearly identical to the ones in lecture). This way I don't have to focus on writing down everything from lecture and instead I can follow along in my notes and add info as I learn it and be able to really focus in on his commentary rather than focusing on writing down the slides which I already have in my notes. By focusing on new info this way, I have more time to review fundamentals as well.



Thank you for this. Helped a lot to watch the videos before lecture.

Re: Rusty on High School Chem

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:59 pm
by 904983525
RandallNeeDis3K wrote:I'm in the same position. I'm sure that as long this course isn't taken lightly and you try your hardest, utilizing all of the resources given to us, you will do well!



I agree. Utilizing all the resources available is the best way to go.

Re: Rusty on High School Chem

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:00 pm
by 904983525
Zack Barta 3I wrote:I think we all will do great!


I hope so and thank you for the motivation.

Re: Rusty on High School Chem

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:01 pm
by 904983525
105085381 wrote:I have been reviewing each concept after lecture by watching the Crash Course videos on YouTube. They have been helpful in clarifying and breaking down what is being taught in class. I definitely recommend watching a few. Hope it helps!



This is awesome. I always liked watching videos that break down everything being taught. Thank you for the recommendation.