Sig Figs

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

JAC_2016

Sig Figs

Postby JAC_2016 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:00 pm

I am still a bit confused on significant figures, even after reading the explanation in the course reader. Are we supposed to only round our final answer? Are we not supposed to round at every step of a calculation before the final answer, because the solutions in the solutions manual have the values in every step of a calculation rounded.

Marie_Bae_3M

Re: Sig Figs

Postby Marie_Bae_3M » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:11 pm

The way I learned it was not to round until the final value because otherwise the rounded value at each step can become very different from the actual value?

Allison Suzuki 2B

Postby Allison Suzuki 2B » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:49 am

Usually for my calculations I include about 4-5 places after the decimal for each step, then for the final answer round to however many significant figures the problem calls for.

Khang_Tran_1O
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Khang_Tran_1O » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:47 pm

I usually try to not round until the final answer, so throughout my calculations, I leave all the numbers in, even if it is long. It may be a bit meticulous, but by doing this, I've never had problems with sig figs on my quizzes and midterm. I think it's usually safe though to leave 4 numbers in after the decimal if you don't want to write everything out.

Return to “General Science Questions”