Past Midterm Question

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Garrett Dahn 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Past Midterm Question

Postby Garrett Dahn 1I » Tue May 08, 2018 7:08 pm

Looking at past midterms, I came across this question and have been trouble figuring it out.
The question is this:

If the computing performance of a supercomputer is only related to the speed of the electron, would high energy photons improve performance?

I'm told the answer is "no", though I'm not exactly sure why. I figure it has to do something with the intensity versus frequency debate, but that's about as far as I can get. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Garrett

annie_finneran_1K

Re: Past Midterm Question

Postby annie_finneran_1K » Tue May 08, 2018 8:02 pm

yes, because higher energy photons would cause electrons to be ejected at a higher velocity.

Ephoton= work function + KE of electron

work function is constant

so as Ephoton increases, KE and thus speed of electron increases

so i am not sure why the answer is no

annie_finneran_1K

Re: Past Midterm Question

Postby annie_finneran_1K » Wed May 09, 2018 1:02 pm

it is because the question is saying if you add more photons of the same energy will electron speed increase. it won't because you are changing intensity but not the actual energy of each question. the wording is confusing. it is not saying the photons each have more energy, it is saying there are more photons with the same energy as before.

Return to “General Science Questions”