Bond angles

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

AlyssaRivera

Bond angles

Postby AlyssaRivera » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:14 pm

Should we memorize bond angles for different structures? If so, which are the most important to memorize?

Caitlyn Ponce 1L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Bond angles

Postby Caitlyn Ponce 1L » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:52 pm

To be honest, I think it would be a good idea to try and memorize all of the bond angles of the molecular shapes just to be safe.

nicolesalcedo

Postby nicolesalcedo » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:48 pm

The VSEPR formula really helps with determining the shape and bond angles!

JoeyAnn Mateo 1D

Postby JoeyAnn Mateo 1D » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:34 pm

Something I used to help memorize is once you get the basic shapes down (ones without lone pairs), once you get to the shapes with lone pairs, the bond angles are similar but for exmaple
A trigonal planar is AX3 and an angular shaped molecule is AX2E. Both have three regions of electron density. Trigonal planar is 120 degrees and angular ones are usually >120 degrees. Most of them follow this trend.

AlyssaRivera

Postby AlyssaRivera » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:04 am

JoeyAnn Mateo 1D wrote:Something I used to help memorize is once you get the basic shapes down (ones without lone pairs), once you get to the shapes with lone pairs, the bond angles are similar but for exmaple
A trigonal planar is AX3 and an angular shaped molecule is AX2E. Both have three regions of electron density. Trigonal planar is 120 degrees and angular ones are usually >120 degrees. Most of them follow this trend.
For shapes that are <x, should we memorize the estimations of the bond angles?

Return to “General Science Questions”