The 4th Dimension

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Bijan Mehdizadeh 1B

The 4th Dimension

Postby Bijan Mehdizadeh 1B » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:37 pm

Hi, I know this is a bit of an odd question, but I was always curious whether or not chemical structures can be expressed in 4-D. For example, trigonal planar can be expressed as a 2-D model, and trigonal pyramidal can be expressed as a 3-D model. I know the concept of the 4th dimension is still up for debate, but if anyone has any theories or insight as to what a 4th dimensional chemical structure would look like if it did exist, please let me know. This has always been intriguing to me. Thanks!

Shubham Rai 2C

Re: The 4th Dimension

Postby Shubham Rai 2C » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:46 am

This question is quite interesting and really got me thinking. Personally, I don't think chemical structures can be expressed in 4-D. The reasoning for my thinking is because all these chemical structures exist in our world and thus must be bound by the 3-D model of our world. Even if there were 4-D models, it would be difficult to imagine them and they would definitely have an interesting and unique structure and properties compared to the 3-D models we have right now.

Return to “General Science Questions”