Reasoning for Al amphoteric

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

AdamH02

Reasoning for Al amphoteric

Postby AdamH02 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:17 pm

Is there a reasoning behind why Aluminium can act as both an acid and a base?

Radha Patel 4I

Re: Reasoning for Al amphoteric

Postby Radha Patel 4I » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:15 pm

According to what I found from google, depending on what Al reacts with, makes the reaction as a base or acid.
For instance when Al(OH)3 s + 3HCl aq ==> AlCl3 aq + 3H2O reacts as a base in acidic conditions. This is possible as we know that anything with -OH is a base. However, I think it may be because of the way Al reacts to other elements that causes Al to be either an acid or a base.

AdamH02

Postby AdamH02 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:14 pm

Interesting! Thanks for your efforts

Leah farhadi 1F

Postby Leah farhadi 1F » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:57 pm

Al and B can act as a acid, because they are an electron acceptor, because they can form bonds with only three atoms, because they are able to have 6 electrons. Since they can form 3 bonds, they would accept two lone pairs from another molecule, for example NH3, where the two lone pairs would attach to the molecule with only 3 bonds, and since NH3 is donating its electrons it would act as a lewis base.

Return to “General Science Questions”