Shower Thoughts: SUN

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Frederick Keith_4C

Shower Thoughts: SUN

Postby Frederick Keith_4C » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:20 am

Alright so I was in the shower listening to Weezer, and this thought came into my head. To start a fire, in a typical combustion reaction, you need a reaction to occur between a fuel and an oxidant. And the oxidant is typically atmospheric oxygen, but there is no oxygen in space, so literally why is the sun burning? Someone please explain to me how the sun burns in space without oxygen.

SMIYAZAKI_1B

Re: Shower Thoughts: SUN

Postby SMIYAZAKI_1B » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:27 am

I guess to explain that, sun is not actually a typical combustion. It burns hydrogen molecules to create helium as a product alongside of heat which is what is considered as a "burning" portion of the sun. The heat and the light comes from nuclear fusion where the helium is forcefully created from hydrogen with massive amount of energy which his what nuclear weapons use. I hope I am not wrong on it...

bloodorangefield

Re: Shower Thoughts: SUN

Postby bloodorangefield » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:59 pm

The sun does not employ typical combustion reactions. Instead of oxygen, it uses hydrogen molecules to convert them into helium. The fusion reaction produces heat and light.

Return to “General Science Questions”