Finding Formulas from Chemical Name

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Reina Robles 2B

Finding Formulas from Chemical Name

Postby Reina Robles 2B » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:35 pm

On the midterm, would we have to know how to write the molecular formula if we're given the chemical name? If so, how can I do that?

Thanks!

AGulati_4A

Re: Finding Formulas from Chemical Name

Postby AGulati_4A » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:44 pm

It is highly possible; I think the best way for you to learn is to 1. Learn how to write out ionic compounds 2. How to write out covalent formulas and 3. learn the names and charges of common polyatomic ions. For the more complicated molecules, you probably will be given the formulas.

Sally kim 4F

Postby Sally kim 4F » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:50 pm

I think that if there was a complicated chemical name given, then the molecular formula will be provided for us. But I think we will have to know polyatomic ions on our own. Just try to memorize them if you have some time; there aren't that many so it won't be too hard. Also, I think we'll also have to know how to write out covalent and ionic compounds.

Jose Robles 1D

Postby Jose Robles 1D » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:36 pm

I feel that by now one should know the basic molecule formulas and have the ability to write out the compound if for example it says "tri, di, etc." For ionic compounds, I'm not sure, but it never hurts to practice it (Still, I'm sure he'll give us the formulas in the end).

Return to “General Science Questions”