Taking Notes on Textbook Readings

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Juwan_Madaki_3K

Taking Notes on Textbook Readings

Postby Juwan_Madaki_3K » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:52 pm

When completing the Fundamental readings and chemistry problems, is it recommended to take notes? Most of the content is already discussed in lecture and section. How does taking notes of textbook readings benefit my overall understanding?

tamara masri_3D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Taking Notes on Textbook Readings

Postby tamara masri_3D » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:04 pm

Hi Juwan! From what I understood, it is not required to take notes so it's pretty much up to you and what makes you feel the most comfortable with the material we're supposed to know for exams. It can definitely be beneficial if you didn't completely understand a topic during lecture and you feel like you need more time and practice to absorb the concepts.

Audrey Han 3L

Postby Audrey Han 3L » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:20 pm

Personally, I only read the textbook material if it's about something I'm not entirely comfortable with. Otherwise, I just answer the problems

Mahnoor_Wani_1I
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Mahnoor_Wani_1I » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:51 pm

Personally, I like to take notes when reading the textbook materials. In my opinion, it helps me to remember what is important in each sections of a chapter and the important formulas.This is way when I am for the midterm/exam I don't need to look at the textbook and scroll down millions of pages to find what I need. Also writing things down, allows me to comprehend things. I would recommend doing it if your chemistry background is not strong or the specific chapter is about a topic you are having trouble in.

jadensteplight_2F

Postby jadensteplight_2F » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:02 pm

As someone who has not taken chemistry in a while and struggles in the subject, I tend to take notes on the textbook readings. I use them to help reinforce the topics from lecture and discussion and as a study tool for midterms and finals. However, it is not required, so you can do what is beneficial to your personal growth. If you feel confident enough in the material, then maybe you don't have to take notes.

JSumpter_3I

Postby JSumpter_3I » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:48 pm

I find that sometimes more so than taking notes on the textbook, it helps to write the homework questions down as notes my for a section. Right now,the questions are all pretty simple but I find them to become helpful later on when questions start having more steps so you can look back at the evolution of the method.

RaniyaFeroz_1E

Postby RaniyaFeroz_1E » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:53 pm

Since I am taking chem after 2 years, I like to take notes. Also, I think that even if you know the subject taking notes engrains it into your mind and you can use this knowledge when the course gets more challenging. However, you're not required to take notes. :)

Ryan Hoang 1D

Postby Ryan Hoang 1D » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:58 pm

It really depends on how much work you want to put in. From what other people in the past have said, the Prof loves to test on minute things that he said during lectures. Because of this, it's probably a good thing to take notes on the lectures specifically, and just read the textbook. However, if you have the time and energy to invest into taking notes, by all means, go ahead and do so :), it can only help.

Shalyn Kelly 3H

Postby Shalyn Kelly 3H » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:07 am

Hello,
I'd suggest taking notes on the lectures, and then maybe when you are reading/working the problems have your notes from lecture next to you and go back over them (you can use a different colored pen) to fill in anything you come across that corresponds with the lecture notes. It really is up to how much work you want to put in/how confident you feel with chemistry though, so ultimately your notes are up to you. Writing things down definitely helps most people remember stuff better, so if you want to write things down multiple times you'll most likely have it memorized!

Yashvi Reddy 1H

Postby Yashvi Reddy 1H » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:21 am

Hi! Adding onto what was previously mentioned, I don't think taking notes is required, so I would suggest, if you think taking notes would help you retain and understand the information better and is worth your time, go for it. This class encourages utilizing your resources in the way they help you (since we have been offered so much to support our chemistry journey!) and I don't think it would hurt but maybe for some chapters you would rather spend time on practice than taking extensive notes. Therefore, it really just depends on what fits your learning best every week! Good luck.

Mahika More 1H
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Mahika More 1H » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:53 am

Hey! When I read through the textbook I added to my notes from the modules we watched previous to school starting. I found the textbook to be a good compliment to what I learned in the modules since they often discussed the same topics. For me, taking notes helps me retain information and I think it will help me when it comes to exam times! You should find what works best for you and take notes if you need to. Good Luck!!

Jalyn 3G

Postby Jalyn 3G » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:51 pm

Like everyone else has stated, it's not required of you to take notes from the textbook readings. I too prefer to simply read the textbook as opposed to writing notes from the text directly, as most of the content is already covered in lecture. Unless there is an explanation or example from the textbook that provides me with more clarity, I will only complete the problems and not take notes.

Michelle Nguyen 3F

Postby Michelle Nguyen 3F » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:04 pm

For me, I usually only take notes on the textbook if I believe it is in important. Like stated above, if lecture content is in the textbook, then I won't write it down because it would probably already be in my notes. If the textbook clarifies something from the lecture, I usually write it in the margins next to my lecture notes into mini-explanation. In that way, I understand the concept and can explain it in my own words!

Lusin_Yengibaryan_3B

Postby Lusin_Yengibaryan_3B » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:51 pm

What I try to do while reading is just to understand the examples and then focus on taking notes while watching the lectures.

Return to “General Science Questions”