Polyatomic Ions

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Hasmik Dis 2F

Polyatomic Ions

Postby Hasmik Dis 2F » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:22 am

Does anyone know if we have to memorize all the polyatomic ions? I've done a few homework problems where it asked for carbonate, for example, but it didn't give the formula.

Hailey Qasawadish 2J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Polyatomic Ions

Postby Hailey Qasawadish 2J » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:24 am

Hi! I am assuming since nomenclature is a part of most of the problems in the book, we are expected to know it. Although, I don't think Dr. Lavelle has specifically addressed it yet. I do think it's important to know the polyatomic ions though because they are a strong foundation for most problems!

Natalie Phan 3G

Postby Natalie Phan 3G » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:26 am

Hi! In one of Dr. Lavelle's office hours I believe he said that the formulas for the polyatomic ions will be given to us on the tests (correct me if I'm wrong). But I think having a few of the basic ones memorized would be wise because he might expect us to know those! And we will be expected to know them in higher level chemistry classes.

Julianna Shimabukuro 1D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Julianna Shimabukuro 1D » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:37 am

Hi! Like Natalie said above, I think Dr. Lavelle said he would give us the formulas since he wants us to understand the concept rather than just simply memorizing the numbers. However, it never hurts to know the basic ones.

Mrudula Akkinepally

Postby Mrudula Akkinepally » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:46 am

Which polyatomic ions would be considered basic ones to memorize?

Natalie Phan 3G

Postby Natalie Phan 3G » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:50 am

Mrudula Akkinepally wrote:Which polyatomic ions would be considered basic ones to memorize?

Based on the textbook problems, I've seen bromate (BrO3), Nitrate (NO3), Bicarbonate (HCO3), and Sulfate (SO4) pop up a lot. So I think those would be a safe bet to try and understand/memorize.

Renny_kim_2G

Postby Renny_kim_2G » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:39 am

It would be a good idea to know the fundamentals. Even though the formulas are given, it is important that we utilize them and apply them to certain concepts. Nonetheless, it does not hurt to know them.

Return to “General Science Questions”