Quantum world objective

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Claire_Kim_2F

Quantum world objective

Postby Claire_Kim_2F » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:16 pm

Good afternoon,
I was confused on using the Bohr frequency condition to explain the origin of the lines in the spectrum of an element. I thought the lines just depended on how many levels you dropped like if you dropped from n=5 to n=1 it would be 4 lines because it dropped 4 levels? Could someone confirm or explain this concept. Thank you so much!

Jordi M 2I

Re: Quantum world objective

Postby Jordi M 2I » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:23 pm

You are correct in saying that the number of emission lines or spectral lines is equal to the number of possible energy transitions. What the Bohr Frequency Condition explains is that the difference in energy between 2 energy levels (i.e. n=1 and n=2) divided by plank's constant (h), equals the frequency of the photon emitted or absorbed during the transition.

Emily Ding 1J
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: Quantum world objective

Postby Emily Ding 1J » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:28 pm

Adding on to that, the Bohr frequency condition just describes the idea that the energy of the incoming photon must be equal to the energy difference between levels in order to be absorbed. And vice versa: an electron that drops down from its excited state must emit light equal to the energy difference between the levels.

Return to “General Science Questions”