Study Habits

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Aaron Akhavan-Dis1B

Study Habits

Postby Aaron Akhavan-Dis1B » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:25 pm

What were some of the ways you guys studied for the final? Office hours, review, textbook,etc? How did you understand the material? If you didn't at first but then did how did you learn? I know I definitely should've spread my time out more in order to prepare for the final and should have done all the textbook problems even if I felt good about a topic. Just want to adapt for the next quarter in Chem14B and not make the same mistakes. Happy Holidays :)

ColmConnolly3D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Study Habits

Postby ColmConnolly3D » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:35 pm

I really focused on textbook problems. I know that they can get a bit tedious, but I really think that practicing is the best way to learn this stuff. Especially with the heavy emphasis on VSEPR and Lewis Structures, you have to build muscle memory so that the answers will come quickly and you will be sure of them as you have practiced a given type of question many times before. I think that this helped me with my final because of how limited our time was. I didn't have to spend time second-guessing myself, I was ready to move on to the next question. It is like training for a sport, the more reps you put in, the sooner everything will fall into place and feel natural.

Postby 805421690 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:09 am

Making an outline of important topics we learned each lecture first, and then going on YouTube to see multiple examples on how to solve and identify those topics through organic chemistry tutor helped me a lot! I am not a student that can learn by themselves by reading textbook problems, I like to hear a voice and watch them draw it out step by step.

Kainalu Puu-Robinson

Postby Kainalu Puu-Robinson » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:13 am

For me, I learn a whole lot better with visual and auditory content rather than reading a textbook. So instead of paying close attention to the readings I took extensive notes on Lavelle's lectures.

Brian Nguyen 2I

Postby Brian Nguyen 2I » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:49 am

Honestly, I just like to focus on solely textbook problems. The more practice I get, the more confident I feel about topics, since most of the exam questions are structured like the textbook problems.

ShinwooKim_3E

Postby ShinwooKim_3E » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:01 am

I feel like some people told me even if you go to every workshop you'll be covered for almost the majority of each exam!

Sophia Wendin 3L

Postby Sophia Wendin 3L » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:54 am

I like to go through the textbook section and take notes, then attempt all of the problems. When I correct my answers I pay close attention to what kinds of problems I got wrong and what common mistakes I made. For the last midterm, I decided to do the textbook problems twice to make sure I was prepared.

Courtney Situ 2B

Postby Courtney Situ 2B » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:33 am

Hello!

For me, the most helpful practice for course content is doing the Sapling and textbook problems. These most accurately reflect what Dr. Lavelle will test for on his midterms and finals. Before I can dive into practice, though, I like to read the book and handwrite notes (sparingly).

I will say that it's super easy to fall behind on lectures, especially in the virtual learning environment. There will be three lectures per week, and they're about an hour each. Schedule a specific time on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday to watch these lectures. Watching one lecture every other day is better than stacking them all on the weekends (or even worse, accumulating lectures over the course of several weeks and having to binge them like a marathon). It is so easy to skip a lecture but do not no matter what; even skipping one week will accumulate three hours.

Good luck!

Vivian Chang 3L

Postby Vivian Chang 3L » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:13 pm

Hi! For the Chem 14A final, I studied primarily using textbook problems and lecture notes, and I was good to go. For the Chem 14B final, I'm going to use the same studying materials. I usually learn the most going through textbook problems because there are a lot of small details not usually covered in lecture. Like someone else said, it sounds really tedious to go through all the textbook problems again, but I think it's really worth it if you're feeling unprepared. I also call a friend and we review the new material we've learned since the end of MT2 by taking turns "teaching" each other the lectures. We also made a study guide for MT1 and MT2 so I'll review that for concepts too.

Jonathan3B

Postby Jonathan3B » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:37 pm

2 weeks leading up to the test I will attend as many Step up/ Workshop sessions as I can fit in my schedule. Along with the helpful meetings, I will use the sapling assignments and the textbook problems to practice/ master the material.

Brian Bui 3H

Postby Brian Bui 3H » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:08 pm

I think doing all of the assigned textbook problems is the best thing you can do. Lavelle has even said that some exam questions are straight from the textbook! I also do the UA worksheets as they also serve as good supplemental practice.

SahajDole_1C

Postby SahajDole_1C » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:09 pm

I reread each section in the textbook and go over the sapling and textbook questions

Sam_Marasigan_3D

Postby Sam_Marasigan_3D » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:42 pm

Brian Bui 3H wrote:I think doing all of the assigned textbook problems is the best thing you can do. Lavelle has even said that some exam questions are straight from the textbook! I also do the UA worksheets as they also serve as good supplemental practice.
I agree! I think the textbook problems are a great way to really test yourself. You'll have a rough idea of what concepts you'll need to focus on.

Megan Hulsy 1A

Postby Megan Hulsy 1A » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:10 pm

I love doing all of the assigned textbook problems in the book, I feel that this is the most helpful way to be prepared for all of the exams. Also, if you need extra practice, I'd definitely check out the UA sessions!

Sami Siddiqui 1J
Been upvoted: 6 times

Postby Sami Siddiqui 1J » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:10 am

I did all the instructed textbook questions and sapling questions twice for my chem 14a final. I also reread sections of the text that pertain to questions I had the most difficulty answering.

Lisa Seidl 3H
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Lisa Seidl 3H » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:27 am

My most effective way to study for this class has been to make review sheets that I try to limit to 1-2 pages condensing all the information that could be on the midterm/final so that I get a chance to go over it all again, write it in my own words and it usually helps me connect the different topics together too.

Olivia Smith 2E

Postby Olivia Smith 2E » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:44 pm

I did as many homework problems as I could. And really understood them conceptually. Although the last few tests have been really conceptual based so for the final I would also make sure you understand key concepts and really get down unit conversions because I know that messed a lot of people up on the last midterm and I know he will probably make the finals and midterms similar if not harder

Carla Bruebach 1C

Postby Carla Bruebach 1C » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:33 pm

Chem or any other math/problem based course always requires practice. I think repetition of practice problems and trying to do a little every single day is the best way to learn and retain information, especially when there is as much information that's being thrown your way like in this course! It's also important to have a support system so I really suggest having a study group where you can bounce ideas off each other as well as learn new ways to think about problems!

Esmeralda_Solis_2D

Postby Esmeralda_Solis_2D » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:14 pm

The most effective way to learn in any class would be to practice. Spend many hours outside class to conceptually learn how to solve questions step by step. I for example do the homework problems and then do more practice problems on other online platforms. It has definitely helped me grasp concepts faster.

Maddy Trotter 3D

Postby Maddy Trotter 3D » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:18 pm

I typically use textbook questions and lecture notes, but occasionally I'll look up a past year's AP exam question on the topic to quiz myself on something more conceptual. I think if you can get those types of questions right, you'd be set for the exam! I agree though, it feels really tedious to do textbook question after question (and it's pretty draining after a while, especially while trying to study for a midterm or final).

Return to “General Science Questions”