midterm 1

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

idella 1D

midterm 1

Postby idella 1D » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:20 pm

After looking at my score for midterm 1, I'm feeling a little bit upset... I've done a lot to prepare (the outlines, attending UA sessions, doing sapling problems, even signing up for tutoring) and felt really confident in myself. However, after getting my results back, I do feel discouraged after not doing as well as I had hoped.

I don't know what else to do at this point, with the second midterm coming up. Seeing how many people got 100% also doesn't seem to help. Anyone else in the same boat were they didn't do horrible but not great? Anyone else not know what to do....

Lindsey_Su_3A
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: midterm 1

Postby Lindsey_Su_3A » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:25 pm

I'm totally feeling the same way. I felt really confident about the test but I didn't do as well as I thought I did. I did great on the textbook problems and Sapling but I guest just didn't translate the same way to the exam :( I'm kind of nervous for Midterm 2 because I feel WAYY less confident about what we're learning right now than what we learned weeks 1-3. The new stuff is much harder to understand for me than Outline 1 and 2 were.

Kaleb Tuliau 3E

Postby Kaleb Tuliau 3E » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:39 pm

I honestly feel the same way, I studied for a week and did terrible. Should I consider dropping?

Hannah Chang 3K

Postby Hannah Chang 3K » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:59 pm

Kaleb Tuliau 3E wrote:I honestly feel the same way, I studied for a week and did terrible. Should I consider dropping?

it would be a good idea to estimate the final grade by using the standard grade curve first. P/F is also an option

Nina Ellefsen 2D

Postby Nina Ellefsen 2D » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:06 pm

Hi! I'm kind of in the same boat- I felt pretty confident beforehand, but looking at my score I'm pretty disappointed in myself :( is there any major drawback to taking the class p/f?

Nancy Yao

Postby Nancy Yao » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:18 pm

Ah that's so true. The midterm problems are so tricky.

Lea Baskin Monk 1F
Been upvoted: 4 times

Postby Lea Baskin Monk 1F » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:28 pm

Hannah Chang 3K wrote:
Kaleb Tuliau 3E wrote:I honestly feel the same way, I studied for a week and did terrible. Should I consider dropping?

it would be a good idea to estimate the final grade by using the standard grade curve first. P/F is also an option

Does this class usually curve the final grade?

Tikva Cohen 1K
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Tikva Cohen 1K » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:52 am

Lea Baskin Monk 1F wrote:
Hannah Chang 3K wrote:

Does this class usually curve the final grade?

No he doesn't curve, but sometimes he'll rewards us with some free points afterwards or something like that if he sees hw hard we tried or if one problem was tricky for everyone or things like that...

I agree that this material is super difficult tho I have no idea how we're gonna make it thru

marlene 1K

Postby marlene 1K » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:34 am

I can understand how upsetting it can be to not receive the score you wished for. At this point there's not much that can be done but remember that a grade does not determine who you are. I think it's important to remember that we're not always going to be where we want to be and thats okay, it's a learning experience. I think the best we can do from now on is focus as much as we can on the next midterm and final and try our best. There's still those 2 tests left that can help you out and I'm sure preparing and studying but also focusing on yourself and you own health can help. Don't beat yourself up over it, I failed the first midterm last quarter and the second midterm I got a B! All I did was put myself into better head space and calm myself down to better understand the concepts and not frustrate myself. I hope you're feeling better and that you don't let this push you down, you're doing amazing!

Megan ODonnell 3F

Postby Megan ODonnell 3F » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:29 pm

I feel the same way as well :( I think the hard part is that in order to feel as though you have done well grade-wise doesn't leave that much room for error, considering that there aren't very many problems on each midterm. There are definitely many of us out there though feeling the same way so you are not alone!

Julianna Shimabukuro 1D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Julianna Shimabukuro 1D » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:01 pm

I also did terribly on this midterm, and I know how you feel. The only thing we can do is not let this define how well we'll do in the course. We can study even harder and take advantage of all the UA sessions. Also, if you or anyone else wants to form a study group since I know it can be hard to meet others, let me know!

Alex Mele 2A
Been upvoted: 4 times

Postby Alex Mele 2A » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:46 pm

I understand how frustrating it can be to not do as well as you expected on a test you really prepared for. However, there is still time to make up for your score on the second midterm and the final! I would recommend going to your TA's office hours to look over your exam and see where you can improve next time.

Return to “General Science Questions”