Adding Parenthetical State of Matter in Equation

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Vanessa_Ong_3F

Adding Parenthetical State of Matter in Equation

Postby Vanessa_Ong_3F » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:31 pm

Is it necessary to always add the parenthetical state of matter in our chemical equations? Or is it necessary just in our answer, especially in regards to our upcoming midterm? Thank you!

Sophia Olender 2J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Adding Parenthetical State of Matter in Equation

Postby Sophia Olender 2J » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:25 pm

When I write out chemical reactions in my notes or practice problems, I normally don't include the state of matter. But, for the midterm, I would include them just to be safe. If the question mentions the state of matter, then I'd definitely include it in the reaction equation (like if they said an aqueous solution or gaseous hydrogen).

Julie Mai 1K

Postby Julie Mai 1K » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:31 pm

For the midterm, I believe it is all multiple choice questions, so I don't think you have to worry too much on writing out the parenthetical state of matter in the equation. However, if we have future exams with free response, it would probably be good to write it out.

Maddy Trotter 3D

Postby Maddy Trotter 3D » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:16 pm

It is good practice to write states of matter, especially for aqueous compounds in your equation! Typically, the only time you might not include them is if all compounds in the equation are in the same state.

Sean Basu 2B

Postby Sean Basu 2B » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:21 pm

I think it's a good idea to write out the states of matter when you can, but I think since the midterm is multiple-choice, it shouldn't matter too much this time.

Return to “General Science Questions”