Formula Units

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Anika Scott 3A

Formula Units

Postby Anika Scott 3A » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:15 pm

I have been studying for the midterm and everywhere in the textbook questions I see the term 'formula units'. What does this mean? What do they represent?

Anisa Subbiah 14B 1L

Re: Formula Units

Postby Anisa Subbiah 14B 1L » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:57 am

A formula unit in chemistry is the empirical formula (simplest ratio) of any ionic or covalent network solid compound used for stoichiometric calculations
Like NaCl representing the ionic structure of table salt in any equations/ calculations.

Isabel Carden 1E
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Isabel Carden 1E » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:05 am

Hi!

I believe that when a question is asking for the number of formula units of a compound, it is just another way of asking how many molecules of that substance are found in X moles of that substance. For example, NaCl is the formula unit for sodium chloride. The number of formula units can be determined by multiplying the number of moles of the substance by 6.022x10^23.

Hope this helps!

Anna Furton

Postby Anna Furton » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:30 pm

Additionally, a formula unit is different from a molecule because a molecule exists as a single and complete structure, whereas a formula unit is one building block of a larger structure. For example, one NaCl formula unit forms a crystal lattice with all the other NaCl units, so it wouldn't exist on its own, it's just the smallest compound that the structure can be broken down into.

alexjung1A

Postby alexjung1A » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:14 pm

Isabel Carden 1E wrote:Hi!

I believe that when a question is asking for the number of formula units of a compound, it is just another way of asking how many molecules of that substance are found in X moles of that substance. For example, NaCl is the formula unit for sodium chloride. The number of formula units can be determined by multiplying the number of moles of the substance by 6.022x10^23.

Hope this helps!

To add on, I think it's multiplied by Avogadro's number because any time we talk about something basic (atoms, formula units, ions, electrons, etc.) Avogadro's number is the factor that converts it into the amount of "stuff" there is.

Return to “General Science Questions”