Writing formulas

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Edmond Chu 1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Writing formulas

Postby Edmond Chu 1C » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:16 pm

In the textbook questions, it gives us a lot of molecules and expects us to know how to write them. Will we need to know how to do this on the midterm?

Windell Viste 1K

Re: Writing formulas

Postby Windell Viste 1K » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:27 pm

I don't believe so. I remember Professor Lavelle mentioning that over time we will hear certain molecules a lot so it should stick; however, I doubt there will be specific questions asking us to name molecules. I think just knowing the basics, like what "diatomic" means, might be helpful. :D

Lawrence Javelo Disc 3B

Postby Lawrence Javelo Disc 3B » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:29 pm

No, I expect that every time we are introduced to a new molecule during the exam it will probably give us the molecular formula for it. We are being tested on how to do these types of quantum problems and we haven't really studied naming conventions so far in this class so I doubt there will be complex molecules we will just have to know on the exam.

carterwink2K

Postby carterwink2K » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:51 am

What will most likely happen is that any information necessary for the question will be given. If the molecular formula is necessary to know, then it will be provided.

N Kanuri 2E

Postby N Kanuri 2E » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:55 am

We should be given any formula that is needed for calculations. If you're still nervous, I would suggest looking over Fundamentals C and D that go over compounds and nomenclature. Good luck!

Rebekah Jung 1C

Postby Rebekah Jung 1C » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:38 am

I believe the problem will let you know the formulas for the compounds, unless, of course, we are solving for it using other additional/given information.

Return to “General Science Questions”