De Broglie Equation Module Question

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Franklin Kong 3D
Been upvoted: 1 time

De Broglie Equation Module Question

Postby Franklin Kong 3D » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:55 pm

"Calculate the wavelength of a 275 kg electric car traveling at a speed of 125 km/hr. Do electric cars have wavelike properties?"
My question here isn't how to calculate the wavelength but rather the second part of whether the car has wavelike properties. The wording of this question made me a little unsure of what the correct answer was. The de Broglie equation states that any particle that has momentum has an associated wavelength, so that means this car has an associated wavelength. However, I remember getting a very small value for the wavelength (around 10^-38). Since the wavelength is very small, does that mean that the car does not have wavelike properties since the wavelength is probably too small to detect, or does it still have wavelike properties because it has an associated wavelength?

Monica Habashy 3A
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: De Broglie Equation Module Question

Postby Monica Habashy 3A » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:03 pm

It means that it doesn't have wavelike properties because it is too small to detect. Usually anything with a 10^-15 is the smallest wavelength that portrays these wavelike properties. Anything smaller cannot be detected consequently, you would say that it does not have wavelike properties.

Return to “DeBroglie Equation”