When to use DeBroglie equation?  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Alyssa Parry Disc 1H

When to use DeBroglie equation?

Postby Alyssa Parry Disc 1H » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:52 pm

I am just a little bit confused on when to use DeBroglie's equation. I'm not quite sure when to use it, so can someone please explain it to me?

Humza_Khan_2J

Re: When to use DeBroglie equation?  [ENDORSED]

Postby Humza_Khan_2J » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:04 pm

You can use it to determine the wavelength of any moving particle. This seems a little trippy, and it is, but everything that's moving has a wavelength and exhibits some wavelike properties. The DeBroglie equation simply inversely relates the wavelength of the particle(or any mass, for that matter) to its momentum.

Kaylin Krahn 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: When to use DeBroglie equation?

Postby Kaylin Krahn 1I » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:08 pm

It describes how light has wavelike properties. In problems it is used when given momentum, mass, velocity, wavelength since those are the variables. You would not cross over this equation with the others though because that's about light as particles or photons.

Cassidy 1G

Postby Cassidy 1G » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:14 pm

De Broglie said that all matter behaves like waves. The De Broglie equation is used to relate Einstein's equation E = mc^2 (which says the energy of an object is equal to its mass times the speed of light squared) to the equation E = hv (which says the energy of photons of light is equal to Planck's constant times the frequency of the wave). The idea behind this was that one could find the wavelengths of any object by setting the equations equal to each other. By setting the equations equal to each other and solving, De Broglie ended up with the equation: wavelength = h/p. p is momentum, and is equal to mv. Anyways, this is useful for finding the wavelength of any particle, but more specifically the waves of an electron.

Diane Bui 2J

Postby Diane Bui 2J » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:31 pm

Is De Broglie's equation essentially the same as the original wave equation (wavelength times frequency = speed of light)?

Return to “DeBroglie Equation”