Large Objects and Wavelike Properties  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

jillian1k

Large Objects and Wavelike Properties

Postby jillian1k » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:57 pm

I just wanted to clarify something about wave-like properties. Can large objects, like cars, demonstrate wavelike behavior even if we can't detect it?

I'm confused because part of the notes in the course reader reads that "all matter has wavelike properties, but is only noticed for objects (like e-) with small mass and high velocity." However, during the wave properties of electrons module, Prof. Lavelle says that because large objects have such small wavelengths that are currently immeasurable, they are not considered to have wavelike properties. So does this mean that large objects do have wavelike properties, but we do not currently have the technology to prove/measure it? Or do they simply not have wavelike properties and De Broglie's Equation wouldn't apply to them?

Ryan Sydney Beyer 2B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Large Objects and Wavelike Properties  [ENDORSED]

Postby Ryan Sydney Beyer 2B » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:02 pm

Yes all matter exhibits wave particle duality. This means that matter is best described not only as a wave or not only as a particle but as both. These large object have wavelike properties according to de broglie even though these wavelengths are too small to detect. Let us just say that we can only detect wavelengths on the 10^-15 scale and I remember from examples some of these large objects had resting wavelengths on the 10^-34 scale.

Return to “DeBroglie Equation”