Difference between DeBrogile and Light

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Connie2I

Difference between DeBrogile and Light

Postby Connie2I » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:09 pm

How do we know to differentiate between using the DeBrogile equation and the equation of c = (wavelength) (frequency)?
For example, when we are given the frequency and asked to find wavelength, how do we know whether or not to use one equation rather than the other since both variables
are present in both equations?

Sophie 1I

Re: Difference between DeBrogile and Light

Postby Sophie 1I » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:33 pm

The De broglie equation is wavelength=h/p where p=mv with the v relating to velocity of a particle not the frequency. If you were given the frequency and asked to find the wavelength you would use c=wavelength times frequency.
So basically you use De broglie when comparing wavelength to its mass and speed.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 391 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:34 pm

The speed of light equation is for light, which does not have mass. The deBroglie equation is for particles and objects with mass. Though they both include wavelength, they do not refer to the same thing.

If the question gives you frequency and asks you to solve for wavelength, this appears to be a light question.

Hope this helps.

Mohamad 1J

Postby Mohamad 1J » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:13 pm

You can decide which equation to use depending on what you are working with. If it is something with mass then you can use the DeBrogile equation, but as particles of light have no mass you cannot use that equation. So for light you would you the c=(wavelength)(frequency). Hope this helps!

Return to “DeBroglie Equation”