Wave properties

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jordan_Wesson_2J

Wave properties

Postby Jordan_Wesson_2J » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:52 pm

So in lecture and on homework, we talked about calculating the wavelength of a baseball and I wasn't sure what was meant by this. Can anyone help clarify how a ball has a wavelength?

Gillian Ward 1F

Re: Wave properties

Postby Gillian Ward 1F » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:20 pm

In class, we used the baseball as an example based off of the De Broglie equation (wavelength = h/p where p=mv). This equation can be used for anything that has a distinct resting mass, as does a baseball. The baseball example in particular shows that as momentum increases wavelength decreases, and because the mass and velocity are so high, the wavelength, in turn, is much smaller. Therefore, even though a baseball does have wavelength, the wavelength is so small that it is virtually undetectable.

Michael_Navarro_1H

Postby Michael_Navarro_1H » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:53 am

The De Broglie equation can only be applied to objects with very small mass (such as an electron), moving at a considerable speed in order for a detectable wavelength to result. All matter moves at a wavelength, but only matter with a small mass can be detected.

Jonathan Pai 2I

Postby Jonathan Pai 2I » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:57 am

^^^Michael's post- it can't only be applied to small matter, but it is only useful for small matter.

What the de Broglie equation does is it combines the wave model and the particle model, displaying their relationship to each other.

Return to “DeBroglie Equation”