Constructive vs. Destructive Interference

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sydney Pell 2E

Constructive vs. Destructive Interference

Postby Sydney Pell 2E » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:25 pm

In my notes, it says that diffraction patterns may result from constructive or destructive interference. What is the difference between these two and do they result in different diffraction patterns?

HanaAwad_4B

Re: Constructive vs. Destructive Interference

Postby HanaAwad_4B » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:36 pm

Constructive is when the peaks of two of the waves do not clash, combine, and then result in a larger wavelength.
Destructive is when the peaks of two wavelengths do not line up, combine, and result in a smaller wavelength. If the trophs are the same size, they will cancel out completely. I recommend checking out the module for a more in-depth explanation over these. Also, looking at pictures of this will help you understand the concept more.

katrinawong3d

Postby katrinawong3d » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:47 pm

Constructive interference is where two waves are added together, while in destructive interference, the two waves cancel each other out.

Maya Serota 3G

Postby Maya Serota 3G » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:25 pm

With constructive interference, is the resulting amplitude just the lengths of the individual waves added together? Or can it not be measured that way?

Jasmine Kim 1L

Postby Jasmine Kim 1L » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:56 pm

In constructive interference, the peaks and troughs (highest and lowest parts) of a wave align and the amplitude of the combined wave increases (it gets taller).
In destructive interference, the peaks of one wave align with the troughs of the other and vice versa and the resulting wave's amplitude is smaller.
I don't know what happens if the peaks and troughs don't match up perfectly or if the wavelengths are different, but I think we don't have to know this stuff. Just these 2 diffraction patterns.

Jasmine Kim 1L

Postby Jasmine Kim 1L » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:59 pm

Maya Serota 3G wrote:With constructive interference, is the resulting amplitude just the lengths of the individual waves added together? Or can it not be measured that way?

I think it does work like that. The book doesn't say anything, so I don't think we need to know it for chem, but I remember learning that in AP Physics.

Return to “DeBroglie Equation”