De Broglie Wavelength

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

De Broglie Wavelength

Postby 905416023 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:25 pm

When a question asks to calculate the De Broglie Wavelength, does that mean there is a certain wavelength that is specific to De Broglie? I thought it was just an equation to calculate wavelength in general, not a totally different wavelength. But the way some of these questions are worded it has me concerned.

AKatukota

Re: De Broglie Wavelength

Postby AKatukota » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:29 pm

So when it asks for the De Broglie Wavelength, you would find the wavelength through h=mvl or l = h/mv

Jordan Young 2J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Jordan Young 2J » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:30 pm

I think it just means to use the De Broglie equation because the De Broglie equation is derived from the equations E=pc, c= wavelength*frequency, and E=hv which we have learned before. However, this equation only works for any particle with a rest mass, momentum, and wavelength so if it asks for the De Broglie wavelength, it probably means that these conditions are met.

Postby 505106414 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:36 pm

Jordan Young 3E wrote:I think it just means to use the De Broglie equation because the De Broglie equation is derived from the equations E=pc, c= wavelength*frequency, and E=hv which we have learned before. However, this equation only works for any particle with a rest mass, momentum, and wavelength so if it asks for the De Broglie wavelength, it probably means that these conditions are met.

Can you clarify what a "rest mass, momentum, and wavelength" means and how we know if these conditions are met?

EvanWang

Postby EvanWang » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:41 pm

505106414 wrote:
Jordan Young 3E wrote:I think it just means to use the De Broglie equation because the De Broglie equation is derived from the equations E=pc, c= wavelength*frequency, and E=hv which we have learned before. However, this equation only works for any particle with a rest mass, momentum, and wavelength so if it asks for the De Broglie wavelength, it probably means that these conditions are met.

Can you clarify what a "rest mass, momentum, and wavelength" means and how we know if these conditions are met?

Rest mass and momentum mean that we can only apply the De Broglie equation to particles with mass. This basically means that we are excluding photons, because they do not have rest mass.

Angela Patel 2J

Postby Angela Patel 2J » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:43 pm

Does calculating the De Broglie wavelength just mean calculating the wavelength of an electron?

Reina Robles 2B

Postby Reina Robles 2B » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:34 pm

The De Broglie wavelength equation is used to see if a moving particle has detectable wavelike properties.

Caroline Zepecki

Postby Caroline Zepecki » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:24 am

What does it mean a particle with a "rest mass?" In problems given that require use of the De Broglie equation should we just assume these conditions have been met or is there an alternative way to check?

Return to “DeBroglie Equation”