Converting mass to kilograms for de broglie

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

romina_4C

Converting mass to kilograms for de broglie

Postby romina_4C » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:46 pm

If a problem wants you to find the wavelength of an ion or an atom given the speed its traveling and no other information, how do you get the mass of the singular atom? If it was potassium for example, would you use the molar mass of potassium, change it to kilograms, and then divide by avogadros number?

Michael Du 1E

Re: Converting mass to kilograms for de broglie

Postby Michael Du 1E » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:55 pm

This is what I was wondering too, I was thinking about that process in which after converting to Kg, I would then convert from mols to atom with the Avogadro's number, but I am not too positive.

Brooke Yasuda 2J

Postby Brooke Yasuda 2J » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:29 pm

if you are trying to find the mass of one atom of potassium to substitute into de broglie's equation, you would have 1 atom of K, multiply by the reciprocal of avogadro's number to get moles. From moles convert to grams, from grams convert to kilograms. From there substitute into de broglie's equation to find the wavelength.

Alexa Mugol 3I

Postby Alexa Mugol 3I » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:34 am

That is correct. Since it's asking you for the wavelength of a single atom, you'd have to find the mass in kg of a single atom. It's also a good idea to make sure your units cancel out in your calculations and you're left with the units that you want.

WYacob_2C

Postby WYacob_2C » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:24 pm

You would need to find the mass. The molar mass is given in grams/mol, so first you would need to convert into atoms using (6.022 x10^23 atoms/mol). Then, convert grams into kilograms.

Anything with mass and velocity has a wavelength, so it will work out, you just need to use dimensional analysis to find the mass.

Matthew Tsai 2H

Postby Matthew Tsai 2H » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:25 pm

Yes, you would need to convert to kilograms because Planck's constant, h, uses kilograms.

Megan Jung 3A

Postby Megan Jung 3A » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:39 pm

Yes, you would need to convert into mass per atom by using the molar mass of potassium. Once you have molar mass (g/mol) divide by avagadro's number (1mol/6.022x10^23 atoms) and finally convert g to kg for SI unites (1kg/1000g).

Nicholas_Gladkov_2J

Postby Nicholas_Gladkov_2J » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:41 pm

romina_4C wrote:If a problem wants you to find the wavelength of an ion or an atom given the speed its traveling and no other information, how do you get the mass of the singular atom? If it was potassium for example, would you use the molar mass of potassium, change it to kilograms, and then divide by avogadros number?

Regarding units, you want to use: g (limiting reagent, molar mass), kg (whenever using Joules), m, J, s.

Yes, for the mass of a single atom of an element, you would take the molar mass (grams/mole), divide by Avagardo's Number this will yield (grams/atom). Then you would divide by 1000 to find (kg/atom). You have to convert to kg, because h in De Broglie has units (Js).

Return to “DeBroglie Equation”