Conceptual Question on DeBroglie

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Mikyla Reta 2J

Conceptual Question on DeBroglie

Postby Mikyla Reta 2J » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:23 am

I understand how electrons and light can have "wavelike properties", but I do not understand how objects such as baseballs and people can act like waves. I understand that you can plug in the object's momentum into de Broglie's equation and get a wavelength, but what are these "properties" and how do everyday objects exhibit them?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 714 times

Re: Conceptual Question on DeBroglie

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:52 pm

Everyday objects do not exhibit properties associated with waves.
This is why the equations for classical mechanics work for everyday objects and the equations for quantum mechanics do not.

Alex Phu 2c

Postby Alex Phu 2c » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:15 pm

The wavelength properties of something like a baseball is something impossible to measure because of its mass and velocity. The wavelength calculated is so minimal that we don't have the technology to measure it. That's why to the naked eye, it looks like theres no wave properties and it is in fact just moving straight

Janice Kim 3I

Postby Janice Kim 3I » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:32 am

When you execute the DeBroglie equation with the mass of something like a baseball or car, the resulting wavelength is so extremely small that it is physically impossible to detect. All matter has wavelike properties, but we can only notice these wavelike properties for very small objects with high velocity. Because the wavelength is so extremely small for classical objects, we cannot detect or verify any wavelike properties.

Return to “DeBroglie Equation”